Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 May 2017
This is an interesting novel from the point of view of explaining why the Covenant actually attack humanity. It isn't the most challenging of reads, but will be enjoyed by Halo fans looking for more depth into the expanded universe outside the games.
on 12 July 2008
Im a fan of the whole halo series not just the games, so this book was a must for me.
Set before any of the other books or games, in short, the book is based around Sergant Johnson, who is right on the front line of the insurrection, a human civil war. He is then reasigned to the planet Harvest to train recruits. This is then the 1st planet the covenant attack.
It starts slow and you have to stick with it until it picks up pace. When the book gets into it, its an addictive read, and i felt had alot of depth to it, espeically near the end.
Its a great addition to the halo series and its nice to have a good idea of the games or other books as you find out the origin of certain things, but its by no means vital.
on 15 December 2008
of the four Halo novels I've read. This is as it is a departure from the mainly linear Master Chief novels and instead takes a more 'Halo 2' approach to the story with the plot developing from multiple human and Covenant angles. This results in a more interesting story and also fleshes out the Covenant to more than just bullet magnets.

As with any Halo book its most important purpose is to expand on the Halo universe and it certainly does that more than any of the first three novels. My only criticism is that there is rather a major revelation that involves the Forerunners that made me think I had misread some of the book as it has never been mentioned in any other game/novel/comic. From a bit of research it seems I did read it correctly, but that makes it a strange and rather large oversight up until now.

Avery Johnson is the main character, supposedly at fans requests, and my only other gripe of the book is that it raises him to near mythical status. Not only is he the only man to have survived the Flood but it also turns out he is also one of two men to make first contact with the Covenant and escape from the first planet they glass. There isn't any indication he is also a Spartan, but it made me wonder. This god like status makes his luck running out in Halo 3 even more surprising.

But these things are minor and what this book adds to the Halo universe and the refreshing multiple race narrative more than makes up for this and I would highly recommend it. Just brace yourself for a very out of place sex scene involving Johnson in the last few pages of the book. What, where did that come from?
on 27 May 2009
I am not a huge fan of the Halo series more of casual fan.Bit of interests here and there.So I decided to check this book out. I have to admit i am glad i did, it has a great way of telling the story from other characters perspective.It really get's you immersed in the Halo universe.The Charcters develop extremely well throughout the story and the plot twist and turns. Though at the start of the book it gets a bit technical with tedious names and stuff like that.But beleive me stick with it.Also it describes all the Alien's as thier real names like a "prophet is a shan syhuum" but don't let this stop you from buying it. I really couldn't put it down.Enjoy.
on 2 July 2011
I bought this book for my 13year old son who has forced me to write this review . He says " I started reading this book thinking that it would not be any good based on some of the reviews but after the first chapter it was unputdownable - written excellently with a very good story I do not know who could not have liked it. I had no problem visualising it and overall it is one of the best sci fi books I have ever read. It would be good for people who even have not played the games".
on 1 September 2011
I love the Halo books and this is the 5th so far. I enjoyed the first four books because they had more to do with the games and they had spartans in, but this book is set when the spartans are still very young so they arent in it. I am half way through and the story still hasnt gripped me yet. :(
on 25 November 2007
For all of you who yelped in dispear when SGT.Johnson was killed (sorry if you didnt know, but honestly you should by now!) fear not because Avery is back in this fantasic novel. Set at the very begining of the Halo universe, it goes way back the to the first contact with the covenent on planet harvest (as the name suggests) and how Sgt.Johnson got to be there. This book, like the others had me hooked all the way through and there is an awsome scene where sarge uses a portable Gauss Railgun. It also answers alot of lot questions that have been speculated about for some time. So overall if there are any Sgt.Johnson fans out there or obviously any Halo fans, this is a MUST read.
33 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 2010
Although the pacing is slightly off, this is definitely one of the best Halo novels, and vies with Fall of Reach in terms of essential exposition. I'm very glad I read this before playing Halo3:ODST, since it covers a lot of the backstory which is merely hinted at in the game.

As a literary work of art.. well, it's a Halo novel, so you have to adjust your expectations accordingly. It's more sophisticated than most, though, with Covenant political intrigue and a sympathetic Grunt religious leader. All in all, a great entry to the Halo canon.
on 13 October 2013
Brilliant story of first contact explaining why the covenant want to hunt and burn humanity. A must read for halo fans
on 24 October 2013
this wa sa present for my brother who loves any thing to do with x box so pleased to have got it thank you