Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Morrissey Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 1 December 2009
I really enjoyed this book it was a very easy read, that was difficult to put down. I preferred Ibbotson's 'The Morning Gift'which was superb but would still recommend this book too.
on 6 October 2015
Thank you to lovereading for sending me this book. This is my last book by Eva Ibbotson that I am reviewing and I am kind of sad. I read this book in half a day and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story is written around The World War and it is a heart breaking love story, it is all about a girl called Ellen Carr who keeps on going even though the world is against her. I loved this book and Eva's others so much and I am glad I had the opportunity to read some brilliant classics. I am going to treasure them forever and probably re-read them all soon.
on 3 March 2001
Eva Ibbotson excels at stylishly written romance without giving way to mawkishness or sentimentality. The overall shape of Morning Gift is much in the style of her other books, but she has moved forward from an idealised early 20th century to the harsh realities of 1938 Vienna.
Although this is a classic marriage of convenience plot where hero and heroine find they do have deeper feelings, the plot is really originally worked out and the back-story is lovingly crafted. The whole construct is spiced with a delicate, witty deflating of academic life, and some lovely comic vignettes, as well as some deeper moments of real anguish. The hero, Quin and his exquisite Ruth, are really vibrant, attractive and complex. I was cheering them on, and there were many moments which brought a lump to my throat. If you're a romance lover, this is a fantastic book.
on 20 September 2015
I like the interesting war time, it's written in, especially outside of UK. The characters don't always follow true to character. I found it frustrating how the story changes and jumps scenes, only explaining later why certain things happened. It also doesn't explain enough how people changed partners. The ending summery seems shallow and leaves you feeling unsatisfied.
on 21 September 2013
Eva Ibbotson is one of my favourite authors and I think that this has to be one of her best books, which I have re-read several times. I love romances and I really enjoy the charming world this book creates. These books seem to be marketed at young adults, but I think they are wonderful adult reads. Couldn't put this book down!
on 16 May 2011
I have recently discovered Eva Ibbotson and just can't get enough of her books. They are well written, factual and generally based around some of my favourite things such as music, Vienna, Austria, and there is always a mention of Northumberland (the best place on the planet!!)
on 30 December 2012
For light romantic fiction - and even older gentlemen who should know better often enjoy the genre - it is realy top class . The characters are cleverly drawn to make a satisfying story a million miles from any hint of "grey"
on 22 January 2013
Lovely book. See my reviews of other Eva Ibbotson novels for the panegyric. The novel is set before WWII and has its serious elements. These combined with a love story and detailed descriptions of nature make for an enjoyable read.
on 12 January 2017
This is a lovely edition of this story. I really liked it a lot and it was interesting to read about Central Europe just before WW2. I do wonder what vegetarians ever did to annoy Eva Ibbotson though!
on 19 June 2015
Love every book this author writes. Whimsical, delicately written evocative pictures of a country I love but a place I have yet to visit, high on my bucket list and at the top of my wish list.