Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 May 2017
Really enjoyed this book, as I have all the others
would recommend this to everybody James Herriot a great author, do sad he died
on 29 March 2017
book arrived quickly. good book
on 26 May 2017
A very enjoyable read
on 18 August 2017
Brilliant
on 12 August 2017
Loved it
on 28 October 2000
A further episode in the James Herriot life story. This is the story of a very humble vet, fighting the fight the young and the stranger. The language is so evocative, you can see yourself there next to him, with his arm up a cow's behind. You do not need to know the joy of Yorkshire for this to appeal to you. Although this book is a collection of anicdotes it runs seemlessly, making you desperate to know what happens next. This is a book of love, not film love, beautiful people, with lipstick and hair all in place, but the story of courtship which runs like normal people's. The excrutiating pain of looking so foolish in front of that person. The "do they, don't they like me" dread. The fear of being at the bottom of the pile in her affections.
This book contains all the elements to make you smile, to restore your faith in human nature and to know, that despite appearance to the contrary, all is truly right with the world.
on 21 December 2014
Like others I read these books a long time ago and I have now started to read them again on my Kindle. I would have given this five stars, but for me the errors and typos spoil it, this book needs proof reading - AMAZON please note, these errors were not in the original books! I was a bit concerned when James set off to test the Aliens cattle, but was somewhat relieved when they turned out to belong to Mr Allen and not some Martian. Please don't let this put you off, all the Herriot books are superb and will stand the test of time and I'm sure the errors will be corrected at some point.
on 24 July 2010
James Herriot's has been a source of inspiration to all who love animals and Yorkshire - me! I have all his books, DVD's and the whole series of ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL (which have been played to death). With Christopher Timothy's lovely speaking voice (who was perfectly cast as James Herriott in the TV series), perfectly captures the original author's stories. When going on holiday, this audio cd goes with me every time. If you are feeling tired, stressed, fed-up or otherwise, find a nice quiet corner and listen to this wonderful cd.
VINE VOICEon 9 September 2006
The third instalment by James Herriot about his life as a country vet from the 30's onwards. As with the previous books this isn't a long book but is full of the funniest stories you could ever come across. My roommate has had to suffer through my random bursts of laughter while I made my way through this book. I sometimes marvel that all of these events happened to a single person.

In this book we read more about the trials and tribulations of being a country vet but also the successes and joys to be gained from living away from the city. James is still trying to catch Helen's attention after the dire events of their previous outings together. Tristan is ever the troublemaker and source of boundless entertainment while Siegfried continues to try and run the place with an iron fist to no avail.

A wonderful light read that will bring a smile to your face and give you a greater appreciation for the people who live in the rough and beautiful Yorkshire dales.
on 18 October 2013
They are a five star read, real events, real people, James Herriot is the best story teller, I would always recommend his books. The only ones I have read several times.
Vivid descriptions put you at his shoulder, always a pleasure reading his accounts, it's as if you are in one of his favourite pubs, listening to him over a pint of beer, the overriding memory for me is the humour threaded throughout the stories. Thank you Mr Herriot.