Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2009
I have read all of the author's previous books and always found them interesting, this one was however quite disappointing. As has been noted elsewhere there is a lot of repeated material in this book. Simply reading a report of a UFO sighting is never especially interesting, although they certainly add to the strength of the argument in a book such as this. What has kept me returning to the author's books has always been the fascinating stories of first-hand contact. Yes, its fair to say that they always depend upon us taking the contactees at their word, and that a compendium of sightings by trained military observers would be far more scientific, but the contact stories are certainly compelling reading and Good's previous books always struck a good balance between the two. What I find really perplexing in this book however, is the authors departure from his previously stated opinion that; "Whatever the threat posed by certain alien species, I believe we have much more to fear from our own kind. I, for one would welcome an official disclosure...It might be just the sort of shock we need" (Unearthly Disclosure). In Need to Know Good makes a complete u-turn, saying; "...based on what I now know, I believe that a full revelation would be destabilizing...gradual disclosure - the planned agenda - is by far the wisest course". In no way throughout the course of the book, does the author disclose anything not included in his past books that explains to the reader what Good `now knows', and why his opinion has changed so dramatically. If he is withholding information in this book it is certainly not in the spirit of the ufology movement within which he is so revered. It is wrong to expect the reader to `read between the lines', Mr. Good should have the courage to clearly state his views and the reasoning behind them if we are to give them serious consideration.
on 7 March 2008
Anyone who has read Timothy Good's previous coverage of the UFO question will know that he is probably the UK's most respected authority on the subject. In this book he documents the major cases over the years, and highlights the ongoing coverup. I think this would make an excellent introduction on the subject for the casually interested reader who wants to know more, as well as an update for the more seasoned UFO sleuth.

Investigators in this field have a tough task; with the possible exception of the Roswell case, the mainstream media tend to single out the lunatic fringe for ridicule, so the general public has for the most part, been ignorant of what exactly has been going on. Through the Internet and the written word, we can get a glimpse of the truth. Yes, there are many cranks out there, looking to make a killing from their claims of alien contact, abduction, etc. It's for the reader or viewer to filter these out and concentrate on the serious attempts to fathom the mystery.

Timothy Good is not only a superb investigative journalist but also an excellent on-stage presenter and broadcaster. He always gives a balanced view, and is extremely thorough, leaving no stone unturned in his quest for the truth. He has always been interested in the government/military coverup aspect of the UFO phenomenon, and convinced me right from the start that the reality of the situation has been withheld from the public at large.

Full marks to him, and to others like him, for their attempts in prising open that constant lid of secrecy and revealing what has been going on over our heads (and behind our backs) all these years.
on 6 December 2006
I've read all Timothy Good's books and this one has produced some startling stuff. Saw him do a talk when he was promoting 'Alien Base' and he said he had tons more info to talk about.

This is a kind of review through the years, but with new information, there is very little repetition of past information, so you won't be reading something that's been done already, merely aluded to.

The most interesting for me was the release of info regarding conflict with craft stretching through 40's and 50's - never knew it was to this extent!!

A cracking read, very thought provoking and surely must prove that UFO's are real - the people reporting incidents are not lunatics wanting attention, but pilots and army men, people whose opinions carry weight.

If you're interested in the UFO phenomenon, a great read.
Tim Good has done a very thorough and professional job in researching and summarizing a hundred or so of the best documented interactions between ET craft and military installations and pilots over the past 60 years. All the cases detailed are multiple-witness with either radar tracking records or otherwise documented official recognition. I had not before realized that the USAF & Navy privately admit to having lost over 8,000 interceptor aircraft in attempting to engage ET craft. How they continue to publicly cover this up as 'training accidents' and such is astounding.

The book contains sections on some of the high-profile multiple-witness cases of incidents between ET craft and the military in Brazil, in China and the USSR and Mr. Good has gathered a lot of new and deeply researched material.

If I have one criticism of the book it would be that the necessarily factual and evidence-based reporting of the incidents makes for a rather fragmented narrative, free of speculation and flowing prose. It's a reference book rather than a novel, to be read in bite-sized chunks rather than one long session. As long as you understand this, you'll find the book an eye-opener. It's a work of scientific investigation and of fact, rather than of speculation and opinion.

Every pilot of my acquaintance either has personal experience of encounters with UFOs, or has friends in the aviation community who have. I have seen them myself on 2 occasions whilst flying. They are seen every day, all over the earth by pilots everywhere. Due to government suppression of sightings and attempts to ridicule witnesses, pilots don't bother reporting them anymore, but certainly they talk to each other. So the extent of interaction over the past 60 years revealed in the book is welcome confirmation. The news media unfortunately colludes with the policy, so the cover-up continues. If the policy is forced to change suddenly, many of the 'flat earthers' in the population who choose to cling to the security offered by redundant belief systems and have hitherto refused to confront the evidence may face a major paradigm shift. The end of inter-human conflict and war? The end of religion as we know it? Let's hope so.
on 20 December 2007
This was the first book I've purchased about UFO phenomena, so it didn't really know what to expect. "Need to Know" reads like a historical compilation of sighting and abduction accounts, starting in 1930's through to the present day. In addition to this the author hints at his opinions and asks questions about the behaviour of the miliary (how things have been 'dealt with', or covered up).

The weight of the evidence gathered in this book to suggest that aliens exist is impressive (around 400 pages), and some of the witness accounts make for very interesting reading. The author has used statements from lots of senior people (military etc) to ensure a high degree of integrity.

My only issue with this book is that a lot of the accounts are repetitive (same shaped aircraft, same coloured lights/behaviours etc). Certain accounts however are enough to make you think twice about whether you'd report a sighting yourself.

The sad fact here though is that this book is not proof, only evidence. We won't have proof of extra-terrestrial beings until they land and introduce themselves. However, even if only a fraction of the accounts in this book are truthful, then we really should start looking at the sky more often.
on 5 October 2007
I always think that the best non- fiction makes propositions that seem outrageous to begin with, until you have read the book. Mr Good evidently feels that the majority of extra- terrestrial races are hostile or at best ambivalent to the interests of humans. He details thoroughly many incidents where Ufos have been fired upon by the military, and other occasions where aircraft have been shot down or "absorbed" by extra- terrestrial craft. Much of the book deals with the world wide government cover up of the situation and the compartmentalisation of knowledge which is only revealed on a "need to know" basis. To back up his claims, many authentic looking documents are reproduced. It becomes apparent that the human race has been engaged in a not so cold war with aliens, since the beginning of the twentieth century. Mr Good is inclined to give credence to much of Philip Corso's information concerning the seeding of alien technology within the military industrial complex, he makes a distinction between "private" and "public" technology, the advanced technological secrets that the military have gleaned from crashed Ufos, are of course mainly "private" and remain hidden within "black" programmes. In the final chapter Good quotes Ben R Rich, the ex- head of the Lockheed Martin "skunk works" who said "We now have the technology to take ET home"!
on 8 September 2006
"Need to Know" by Tim Good presents a host of new and valuable information for serious researchers of unidentified aerial phenomena (UAP). Indeed, while reading Mr. Sutherland's review I wondered if we had read the same book. I found many new cases involving pilots around the world which is one of my specialties. General readership books such as this one must necessarily include older cases that provide the perspective needed to better evaluate the newer ones. The older cases that Good has included are generally solid. Good also handles the delicate balance that is needed between state security/secrecy and the public's right to know about UAP with sensitivity, tending toward the open disclosure side. He makes a strong case that military and intelligence agencies have been involved in the study of UAP for a long time in spite of their official denials.
on 12 September 2006
My mother, who is in her eighties and still with her full mental faculties, has read this book and says: "This is the most important and comprehensive book on the UFO question. New, documented material from early sightings give the reader more insight into the subject. P.B. Grant BSc". She does not have email so has asked me to put her review on this site.
on 18 December 2008
'Above Top Secret' is a great read, but this is more up-to-date. The research is impeccable and the sheer number of cases quite remarkable, and you can read short chunks, then put it down without losing the plot. I'm afraid Roswell is too familiar to interest me but everything in this book after 1950 is fascinating. Remember, the evidence comes from pilots, qualified observers and very senior people. I'd like to see the quotes of the really important folk like President Gorbachev and CIA Director Hillenkoeter all brought together to be read one after the other. To deny these people's knowledge would be preposterous. I was surprised that Good devoted so little space to the Disclosure Project which has lined up so many people with UFO knowledge wanting to testify before Congress. (Look it up on google!) To prove there is no evidence for UFOs would require every single one of Good's hundreds of cases to be untrue, which is surely impossible. If only 5% of his reports are true we must still conclude there are aliens and UFOs. I recommend this book.
on 8 September 2006
The last hardcover book that I purchased and read was "Margaret Thatcher - The Downing Street Years" From this you will gather that for me to purchase a book, there must be a good reason.
I have for many of my 62 years felt, like many others, that there just might be something or someone else out there or even upon the Earth and amongst us.
Having decided to take a weeks holiday in August,I decided to purchase "Need To Know" as a holiday read.
I found this well researched book compelling. I simply could not put the book down.
From the information gathered by Good including statements obtained from "witnesses" interviewd by Mr Good I now have no doubt whatsoever that sightings of "flying objects" and alien beings are genuine.
I suspect that Timothy Good has not been made too welcome by many in positions of "authority" such as the military particuarly in the United States. I have to ask, why would anybody be concerned or react to Good's investigations if they themselves did not infact know that what Good's conclusions are justified. I will leave others to purchses this excellent read and reach their own conclusions. "Live long and prosper" Timothy and keep probing!

December 2009. I have just read this marvelous book for the third time. I really would recommend a re-launch of the book as it deserves a wider readership. How about issuing an Audio Book version come on someone

I think I will read it again soon unless Timothy Good can record the audio version

Mike Hathway