Customer reviews

The Trouble with Poetry and Other Poems
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 November 2013
New to Billy. He is brilliant to say the least. Finds complicity between the mundane and obscure. Can be very funny. Always intuitive . Fun to read. No trouble with his. Not sure about the cover : but that's poetry for you.
on 4 August 2017
My boyfriend gave me his copy so I bought him one in return. We both love Billy Collins's poetry.
on 13 December 2012
More of Billy Collins great poems that never have a single word more than they need, sad and funny ion the same page
on 19 November 2013
I really love this book. The cover image is evocative and the contents do not disappoint. The poems of Billy Collins in the book are often based on the daily life and sometimes about the process of writing. They have a delicate magic.
on 1 November 2017
This an absolutely magical book. I've read it and re-read it, and will be returning to it many times, I'm sure. Billy Collins makes poetry nourishing, not draining.
on 22 June 2009
This collection by Collins is witty, benevolent and humanitarian. Collins writes about daily matters and big questions in a profound and original way.
I love these verses from "The Lanyard"in which Collins depicts the relation of a boy with his mother:

"Here are thousands of meals, she said,
and here is clothing and a good education.
And here is your lanyard, I replied,
which I made with a little help from a counselor.

Here is a breathing body and a beating heart,
strong legs, bones and teeth,
and two clear eyes to read the world, she whispered,
and here, I said, is the lanyard I made at camp..."

Brilliant poems worth reading.

Joyce Akesson, author of Love's Thrilling Dimensions
on 13 August 2014
Excellent
on 4 July 2010
Billy Collins America's most popular living poet is not well known in Britain. If you like reading poetry you will enjoy this Master. If you are not interested in poetry Billy Collins will engage and convert you.
on 11 November 2014
I shall be reading Billy Collins again, probably daily, from now on.
His poetry helps me, and makes me smile.