Customer reviews

on 15 November 2005
This is a wonderful, emotional roller coaster ride of a novel. Relive autumn 1944 with the crew of a Lancaster bomber. The story of Charlie Bassett and the crew of “Tuesday’s Child”, is told with warmth and feeling with a wonderful eye for detail. When the crew are on a bombing mission, you can believe that you are there with them. You feel their fear as they fly into enemy flak and meet enemy fighters, share the tension as they try to do their job and experience the relief that must have been felt as they make it home after another mission. You really do feel that you are there with them, rooting for them, laughing with them and find yourself asking, was it all worth it? There is the added twist of a female rear gunner, smuggled aboard so that the crew can continue their tour.
The lives and loves of the crew is told with compassion, insight and with a great deal of humour. The book has some sharply observed characters living in a world where life expectancy is short and living (and loving) to the full is a way of dealing with it. There is some cracking dialogue that Groucho Marx and Spike Milligan would have been proud to have written. Just read the part in the book where the German aircraft mistakenly lands in England instead of Germany and say that you didn’t laugh. Even Matt Braddock of “Victor”, comic fame elbows his way in alongside some real life characters. If that’s not enough to whet your appetites, there are spies and ghosts too. Everything you ever wanted to know about life on an airfield in Britain in late 1944 is here.
I can warmly recommend this book. It is a tale of people who were heroes and heroines but didn’t know it. Ordinary people who lived extraordinary lives because of war.
on 7 April 2010
It should be a bit hard to get upset about this book because it only cost me a penny + postage off Amazon Marketplace but it's fairly bad and I resented the time I wasted on it. It's fulll of anachronisms, social and technical, but if you read other positive reviews, readers see this as quirky rather than lazy. I don't.

It's billed as gritty realism, it comes on like a TV soap opera with occasional grainy black and white historical newsreel incorporated. The soap opera is of an inferior sort where characters are centre of focus one moment, written out the next, then reappear with totally different personalities . The sub-plots are bitty and often silly. There is a degree of wish-fulfillment about it all - sex on tap and pregnancy only when needed for a plotline. There's a bit of Harry Potter in there, the hole in the wire instead of the secret passage, the authority figures who may be friends such as the MP or death-eaters, the Squadron Leader who goes mad. Quelch's Lancaster flying is Quidditch rather than a reflection of war. The anachronism which annoyed me most was an obsession with real ales at a time when ale wasn't under threat and the silliest technical point was the toy compass being used to guide a metal aircraft with four large engines running. Of course you can take all of this as a literary device, these are the necessarily fuzzy memories of an elderly ex-flyer looking back over half a century. Otherwise you can call it slipshod writing.
on 23 October 2008
Living as most of us do now, so remote from the threat of death, how can we truly appreciate the urgency of the moment, the 'live for the now' spirit of wartime Britain?

Tuesday's War brings this home like no other story I have ever read. It captures the intensity, vitality and utter insanity that coursed through the twenty-something generation during the final year of the war. I had never really appreciated how so completely alive these times and its people must have been.

The book moves at breathtaking space. It's a vivid, dramatic, characterful, hilarious, tragic recreation of life on the edge for seven members of a Lancaster bomber crew and one very special girl.

Was there really so much wild sex?! Wow!

One can understand how such a time defined the true values of a nation. If I could trade ten years of post-war mundane materialism for one single month of serviceable action as a RAF bomber in 1944, I would surely have lived as long...
on 14 November 2005
I loved this book, one of those rare reads that has everything, humour, drama, love. Well written, I could almost believe I was there in 1944, the language, the music and the atmosphere. When I got to the epilogue I couldn't believe the book was finished. I'm glad to see that this is actually the first in a trilogy and I cannot wait for the next instalment!
on 4 November 2005
I was really impressed by this book and I read it within about two days. I bought it because I usually enjoy books based in this era and I wasn’t disappointed. It has what I would describe as an unusual love story and I don’t mean that in any way as a negative statement. Having read a lot of factual books on bomber crews in World War II I feel the author has really captured the mood of these lads and the double lives they are forced to lead; partying wildly one day and staring death in the face the next. There are some real laugh out loud moments and the characters are colourful and I found myself thinking about them long after I had finished the book.
This book is interesting, thought provoking, funny and sad and is definitely one to read!
on 16 January 2015
I read this book a few years ago but it has stayed with me ever since. I have to say that I stopped reading it after a chapter because at first I found it a bit hard going. Once I got back into it I realized that this book, above many others of the same genre, correctly depicts the psychological impact that such a war has on its young fighters.

This is not a flippant tale of war but a deeply disturbing, almost gut wrenching, look into the lives of young men who, instead of stepping from childhood into adulthood with all the prospects due to them, were pitched headlong into danger and mayhem day after day. Their need to try and live their whole lives within each day because the world was playing Russian Roulette with them on a daily basis was palpable in this book.

I highly recommend this book if you want to gain an insight into one aspect of WWII which is often overlooked, and the young men and women who took part in it,
on 19 September 2005
I didn't think that I'd ever fly a Lancaster bomber....... but listening to Charlie's story I felt that I was right there! Tuesday's crew really are a team and as a reader you quickly feel part of it all, just as Grace does when she flies as rear gunner. Charlie and his crew can't go out on that next bombing raid unless you turn the pages .... and when you do you're airborne again and the tension kicks in! Written with humour and sensitivity, the story unfolds in unexpected ways to reveal how ordinary men and women caught up in the extraordinary business of war cope from day to day.
on 10 March 2013
Superb. I read some of the others before this and what a great set of stories. I would recommend them all to anyone interested in just what it was like for our armed forces in the not too distant past, educational, interesting & compelling. Fiddimore's novels seem well researched whilst offering an entrancing glimpse of what it was/must have been like!
Thanks Charlie, thanks Mr. F.
on 16 January 2015
This book is a great read. I originally read it a couple of years ago in paperback, borrowed from a friend, but bought it on Kindle because its well worth another read. I have also bought all the other books by David Fiddimore which follow Charlie Bassett's life through the 40s and 50s. They are all excellent and I hope he publishes some more.
on 15 October 2008
This is an amazing rollercoaster of a book. You simply will not be able to put it down. Whimsy, sex, Fred Astaire, flying action and ghosts form the warp and weft of this tapestry. Meticulous research combines with supreme storytelling to produce one of the best air war books ever written.
Pity about the naff book cover though.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse