on 28 June 2014
Being familiar with Ann Cleeves' work through the excellent Vera series on television, I jumped at the chance to download a Shetland novel on a daily deal. I hadn't seen the tv versions so had no preconceptions or knowledge of the story line.

Raven Black centres on two murders. One that happens shortly into the book and that of a missing child some years earlier.

I hate reviews that give too much of the story away so suffice to say I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading more of Ms Reeves' books about Shetland.

Thoroughly recommend.
on 4 June 2017
Very good.
on 30 April 2017
I enjoyed this. I'm a great fan of good crime stories and this one was good, it's well written and caught my interest from the start, perhaps because of the TV series? Either way, I will certainly go on through the series and am happy to recommend to anyone who enjoys good crime fiction.
on 28 July 2017
Kept me interested and had a good storyline. Will be setting out on my next great Ann Cleeves adventure soon.
on 9 July 2012
I devoured every word of this from the beginning to the end. The characters are well drawn, especially the creepy Magnus, for whom I felt quite sorry. The sense of place is brilliant - close your eyes and you are in the bleak Shetland Islands. Maybe it's because I come from the northern Isles (not Shetland) myself that I was drawn to Anne Cleeves books initially, but I was not disappointed. Murder mysteries are also a favourite of mine, so all round, this series is a must for me. I now have been introduced to another favourite author.
on 30 July 2017
Really enjoyed reading this book. Would recommend to anyone who likes a bit of knives and daggers :-) I read a lot of Rankin and McBride and this one is up there with the them I think. Looking forward to reading the next one (White Nights).
on 8 March 2017
Best read I have had in a long while. Looking forward to book 2.
on 28 May 2017
Really enjoyed this book, have seen all the film's but the book is so much better. I am going to buy the next book straight away.
on 13 March 2017