on 15 January 2017
This was one of the best books I've read. I read it months ago and I'm still thinking about it. I highly recommend this - de Botton takes us through the philosophical implications of love through framing them in a story narrative. It's a wonderful way of thinking about things - although this may be considered 'pop philosophy' or 'pulp philosophy', I found it very exciting and relatable. I found each of my love stories in the philosophical story de Botton presents. I have recommended this book to anyone I have found struggling in terms of love. It's a beautiful reminder of what is possible, and how to take a break up, whilst also consolidating some truths on what it means to be in love and feel those first frissons of attraction.
on 18 March 2014
I can't describe how much I adore this book. Alain De Botton encapsulates his many experiences in love in one relationship between a 'fictional' man and woman. The relationship is narrated first-hand from the man's point of view (or the author's) and recounts all the ups and downs that they face, and then looks at them philosophically, critically, trying to understand why they occurred in the first place. It is incredible deep and insightful, and impossible not to see some of yourself and your relationships in their story. I recommend it to everyone, whether you be unhappily or happily in or out of love.
on 16 February 2015
This book is for those readers wanting to be instantly immersed in the story and to learn or have someone share some universal experiences we al have in relationships. full of short paragraphs that make the book smooth and wickedly addictive to read, the genuine and honest fears,highs,lows and confusion that comes with any relationship along it's timeline just felt so relatable and De Botton masterly hands us some gems of advice and thoughts to consider about love. I recommend this for anyone interested in people,relationships, self-help,love, romantic philosophy and how we live our lives.
on 29 June 2016
Always like AdB's style, and this is a very well written "novel" although it could be confused for autobiographical experience. Written with a presence that makes it real and filled with many truisms about the rollercoaster of love. Well done Alain.
on 6 June 2014
Another insightful and inspirational one by Alain de Botton. This guy really is philosophy for the ordinary person. He doesn't confound people with high-minded terms, but keeps it simple and puts you in the picture. He never disappoints and the titles of his books are usually clear and very indicative of what you're hoping a book will be. Brilliant author and a great speaker, if you're about on YouTube sometime.
on 10 May 2017
Such a great thought-provoking book. Alain, even at such a young age, was a witty, sensitive and inspiring writer. I have read this loads of times and will keep reading this for many years to come I'm sure.
on 23 May 2016
An easily-digestable and refreshingly enjoyable format. His intimate and well-presented narrative coupled with his philosophizing of the ordeals of falling in-and-out of love makes this book a truly unique experience.
on 16 March 2016
A perfect read. Im glad amazon/the seller had it in stock.

A competitive price and i would gladly recommend this strangely structured, essay/novel by Alain De Botton.
on 1 June 2016
A fantastic book for everything is in or embarking on a relationship. Great insight into the way people tick.
on 7 May 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this. I'd recommend it to anyone, whatever stage of life they are in and no matter how much in or out of love they are. Refreshing, fun, heartfelt and very easy to relate to. Great read!