on 6 October 2013
Read all the books as a teenager thought they were wonderful then. However, now realise they are absolute genius. Mr Adams as a writer was able to unite the scienfiction with the satirical. As I am a big fan of both genres his books to me are just fantastic. As a rule I am very careful with the books I re-read however I am so glad I did as I noticed so much more I had either forgotten the first time round or lacked the maturity to understand. Many readers criticise the ending of the final book saying there is no way back. However, with all the twists plots and subplots running through the series of books a way would have been found. Sadly the untimely death of Douglas put pay to that. I am sure as many would agree I could not entertain reading anything by someone trying to emulate his style. RIP Douglas Adams a writing genius taken far too young.
on 15 April 2013
This book is, erm, very Douglas Adams!

I'm a fan of Hitchhikers Guide, and also enjoyed the TV adaptation of Dirk Gently starring Stephen Mangan. so when this came up as a recommendation I thought I'd give it a try. It's very disjointed to start, and seems to take a long time to get going. Perhaps the only bad thing about a Kindle is seeing at the bottom of the screen how far through the book you are... I was 50% through before Dirk even came into the frame! It felt more like in Life, The Universe and Everything, where the Guide seemed to lose its way too. It did, however, pick up very quickly, and was much more like the sharp humour of the first two Hitchhikers books. If you're expecting the same as The Guide, you may be disappointed, but if you pick it up with a clear head, you'll enjoy once it picks up.

Overall an enjoyable read, but I'm not sure it's one I'll be reaching for again any time soon.
on 31 March 2012
Could not believe my eyes when i saw this as the deal of the day. Now having reread it, all I can say is thank you whoever you are at Amazon for getting this out on the Kindle. Other thing I cant believe is how long ago it was when i first read it.

I thought i knew the book(s) but boy was i wrong as I read I rediscovered things I had forgotten and laughed out loud again. If you dont know the story shame on you but its basically the misadventures of Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect as they bumble around the vast (and it is really really big) emptiness (or not so emptiness) of space. A slight delay in a piece of paper getting to the right folk (Aliens) at the right time leads to Earth being bulldozed for an intergaltic bypass that wasnt needed. Of course no one on Earth had read the planning application and so in move the bull or planet dozers, and with that off you go on a trip around the biggness of everything.

So if you want to discover who really rules the Earth, what the answer is, why Dolphins are Dolphins and what those lights in the night sky really are then this is not the book for you, however it might just be the answer to all your dreams you wont know till you read it or them or whatever.
on 31 January 2014
What's to say about this book, this series?

It's iconic? It's the cleverest and wittiest sci-fi book written? The best radio sci-fi ever? TV? (We'll forget the terrible movie version)

I've been a fan since I first heard it millions of years ago on the radio - since then I've listened to the CD version over and over whilst driving around but, after all these years, decided it was them to get back to the printed version.

The idea at the core of this book is timeless ("time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so") and is applicable today as it was when DA first put pen to paper. OK, so we don't marvel at digital watches any more but where humankind sits in the pecking order of the multiverse is unchanged.

Any trilogy that spills over into 5 volumes has to have something going for it - and this series punches well above its weight.

So, start here and read on . If it's a re-read, then it'll be like meeting up with a good old friend in the pub, if you're a mouse then you'll already know all about this and if it's a first time read for you, well - there's a whole universe stretching out there for you. "Oh, God, not another one?!" (Read on, and you'll learn who said that.)

But don't forget your towel.
on 17 June 2013
UTTER, UTTER GENIUS.

Have read these novels over and over many times, over the years, over.

They are still as fresh and as funny now as then.

Douglas was bang on with his humour and outlook on life that makes you wonder about the rest of humanity.

It is seriously missing out on something vitally important and unfortunately we shall never discover what that is due to his untimely departure.

The cast of characters may seem a bit OTT but I'm pretty sure that there are still people like that out there right now, and I don't mean on Betelguese.

These stories are a must read for anyone who doesn't take themselves or life too seriously.

The destruction of Earth and one earthmans exposure to the incredible, mindblowing vastness of space and his search for a decent cup of tea, whilst evading Vogons and white mice.
on 23 April 2016
Nice to have it to complete the Adams oeuvre, but the book is a bit of a mish-mash, with a random collection of other pieces to pad the novel fragment out into something that looks like a book.The novel looks enticing and I would doubtless have enjoyed it if it had been finished. But it's a shame that this rather weak collection is the last thing published under his name. It would have been better just to put the novel fragment online for fans to see and not to have the publisher try to make money out of cobbling this lot together.
on 10 January 2017
I've read all these before, but wanted to get all the stories together for another round. This seems like one of the most comprehensive editions out there, and comes in a great hardback cover that looks great. The text size and print quality is great as well. Overall a book I'd keep for a long time, if it wasn't for the fact that I've already given it away when I showed it to a friend and it turned out he hadn't read the books! I have to get another copy for myself as well, and you should too!
on 3 December 2017
I read the original trilogy when there were only four books. I bought the whole trilogy (now with extra fifth book) as I hadn't read 'Mostly Harmless'. They remain amazingly readable books. However, I thought Doug was just phoning it in for 'Mostly Harmless'. Hence 4 stars. However, if you were to stop at the end of 'So Long and Thanks for All the Fish', you will have a five star read, but at the four star price.
VINE VOICEon 16 April 2012
I was lucky enough to get this while it was the Kindle deal of the day, but even at its normal price it is a bargain: all five of the HHG books in one e-book. Despite having all the books on paper I couldn't resist it.

Somehow it seems only right to be reading the books on a device that that is more like the now-legendary guide itself than a paperback is. It makes me wonder why somebody isn't selling a Kindle case with DON'T PANIC on the cover.

The only drawback is that the books have somelittle extras at the end, like some original press releases or first drafts of stories. These are rendered quite small on the Kindle screen and really might as well not be there. Apart from that, this edition works very well in electronic format.
on 23 September 2009
This is probably only the third time I have read this modern classic, but somehow I still know the plot of the first book by heart. There are all the usual things to say of Adams' work. It's insightful, thought provoking, worryingly realistic and amazingly witty.

The characters are very simple, and yet in H2G2 this seems incredibly natural, where in any other book it would probably be boring and childlike. Some places don't rub well, Zaphod and Ford are possibly a little too similar, and Trillian is distressigly under-used as the only female character.

Adams' style doesn't tend to include a great deal of description of locations, which is almost a relief after all the Wheel of Time epics I've been reading recently, and I like to think this is a side-effect of the story's origins in radio. The radio experience has also rubbed off really well on the dialogue, which I can hear the characters speaking in my head. This lends a great deal to the comedy, especially the interplay between Eddie the computer, the talking doors, and of course Marvin.

My two criticisms are related. Firstly that there seems to be something missing from the plot - thinking back over the plot I keep feeling there's something I must have missed to pad out the middle. The second is that the ending is incredibly abrupt and resolves absolutely nothing - although I suppose that could be part of the beauty.

Overall I've enjoyed reading it again and am looking forward to going back over the whole series in preparation for the release of book 6 next month.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse