Customer reviews

Elizabeth: The Biography of Elizabeth Taylor
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 February 2017
Excellent biography....informative, touching and surprising! Beautifully portrayed about a icon of her years and those to follow!
on 30 August 2017
Great read
on 25 October 2014
Exactly what I expected it to be, great!
on 29 August 2017
Great read
on 31 December 2010
Easily the most detailed, unbiased review of the turbulant life of one of the 20th Century's most famous stars. Taraborelli, who is a favourite writer of mine, paints Taylor's life with such detail that by the end of the book you feel you really know the person that she is.

The book highlights the highs of her life, and also the tragic lows that she somehow managed to fight through. The book really showcases what a survivor Elizabeth Taylor is.
All of her marriages are covered in detail, and actually Taylor comes out as a sympathetic character caught up in these events, not the man-eating legend that the media has displayed.
Her romance with Mike Todd is tragic, and of course the Burton/Taylor romance is covered with great detail.

Altogether a really good read, I found it hard to put it down at times.
on 21 March 2017
I will admit I didn't buy this from Amazon - I found it in a charity shop - and I wasn't expecting much from it, as I hadn't heard of the author and am always sceptical of biographies. And of course, so much has been written about Elizabeth Taylor over the years: much of it scurrilous gossip!
But I'm happy to declare that, after reading it in four sittings (quite a feat, as it's huge, but I couldn't put it down), Taraborrelli has done Taylor proud. I'm sure she wasn't happy with some of his forthright analyses of her behaviour - he doesn't pull any punches when he recounts how Taylor was unreasonable at times, and some of the incidents in her life are truly shocking. But he's spoken to a frankly staggering number of people who knew her across the years, including family members and exes (of which there were, of course, many!). You get a clear sense not only of her career and her private life, but also of her inner psychologies, most notably the motivations behind her chaotic love life. Not only that, but it's utterly fascinating reading both if you're a fan of Taylor or just interested in the world of film and theatre.
I'm so glad I picked this up in that secondhand store; if I'd known it was this good I would have bought it brand new! But I can thoroughly recommend it instead. This must be THE definitive work on Taylor, barring her own books... and Taraborrelli has, I suspect, dug far deeper without dishonouring her.
on 2 June 2011
A sympathetic and interesting biography encapsulates both Elizabeth Taylor's movie career and many of her life moments, her idiosyncrasies and 'incidents' as Richard Burton called them. It is a portrait of a humorous and likeable woman, who despite the mantle of incredible wealth, stardom and undeniable beauty, handled the chaotic and less savoury moments of her life with candour, self-deprecating wit and kindness. A good read and filled with detail other biogs. missed.
on 4 July 2012
J.Randy Taraborrelli does it again! I've read most of his work and what I love about his work is that he doesn't write with an agenda. He gets the facts, interviews people and then puts in all together to form an entertaining yet informative read.
Elizabeth Taylor is an amazing woman and her life is possibly the largest life I've ever read about. The jewellery, the marriages! I come away from reading this book wanting to watch her films and to find out more about her.
Amazing read!
on 25 July 2017
Brilliant. A well-balanced handling of the facts and myths surrounding this icon. A great read.
on 29 June 2015
I found this biography v.thorough and well written.. the subject is fascinating and Liz is probably one of the last real movie stars. However no photographs of her, her family, partners etc is crazy! After all she was a beautiful woman but apart from that it is always one of best parts of biography to have photos, I had to keep googling photos of various people mentioned in text which is annoying.. otherwise good read.. but put in photos..please..