on 10 March 2013
A gripping story that holds no punches. An excellent read for any rugby fan. Barrie speaks openly and from the heart.
on 11 May 2014
Well whatever was in this book was going to have SOME people fawning over it. Such is the mind of the sports fanatic who won't hear a word against "their team", "their captain", etc.

I had no such background. I watch sports but I don't "support" any team, in any sport. I went in unbiased, and decided to read this book purely as tale of someone overcoming a disability (his lost eye). How ironic then that it was such an "eye opener!"

I waded through the macho posturing about being "hard" (zzz....) but he crossed the line too may times. Pure thuggery showed its head once too often for me. There's no way he could have got away without mentioning some of his shameful exploits, but no euphemisms could disguise plain and simple yobbish behaviour. And to play down a homophobic incident by blaming it on alcohol is NEVER an excuse. We had the "good family man" cliches (religious even, ha!) but I ended up having lost any sympathy I had at the start.

I admit the whole story was very well-written and structured, (down to the co-author, I'd wager), but when all was said and done, there was just one thing that put it all into perspective for me, i.e. when he went on about being superstitious and refusing to wear a jersey with a certain number on it. I'm sorry, but any grown man who would dare admit to such utter nonsense is not "hard" in my book!
on 12 December 2015
Good book to read im a big fan of barries
on 7 February 2016