on 24 February 2018
This real life account of an English drug dealer’s time inside San Pedro prison reads more like a thriller- even if only 10% is true, then it’s a pretty crazy place- from having to buy your own cell to manufacturing the best cocaine in Bolivia, from wholesale bribery to prison tour guides, this has it all. Easy to read, with very little of the violence you’d suppose from this kind of story, the book offers a glimpse into a very different world.
on 22 March 2017
I really enjoyed this story. With autobiographical story you don't always know how much is actually true and what level of self-justification is attempted. But for the most part it did seem believable and quite confessional. I would certainly recommend you giving Marching Powder a read.
on 11 August 2017
A really good read. I had seen a documentary on this prison but the book went in to a lot more detail. I couldn't put it down. A must read!!!
on 17 August 2016
This is book is very unique in every way, although it reads like a diary of a professional drug criminal career who has had the misfortune of being incarcerated in a Bolivian jail for around 4 years. The book gripped me from the very start and kept me glued till the very end. So if you want to know all the details of drug trafficking and and its clientele please read on. Apart from drugs consumption, I also found the Bolivian cultural depiction very interesting, especially the hate for Gringos and their DEA forced laws on the population.
on 23 November 2017
Incredible! Easily one of the best books I've ever read. Just mind-blowing how such events ever occurred! You simply HAVE to buy this book! I guarantee you won't be able to put it down!
on 27 September 2014
I wasnt quite prepared for what lay in store here and just lazily bought it on a whim not expecting much from it. How wrong I was!

At first I thought this must be a work of total fiction and subject to gross exaggeration- until i researched it online and found it to be absolutely true in all regards. i even found images online which fit nicely the descriptive powers of the author.

That such a prison STILL exists to this day operating in this manner is absolutely mind blowing!!

Read it- and whilst doing so remind yourself that this society is happening at this very moment - you wont regret it I assure you. A book of real impact and hugely enjoyed.
on 13 May 2017
Really good read. Was told about this book from a friend. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Well worth a read. Struggled to put it down
on 24 September 2013
I love this book for its insights into a completely different way of life, but one where the basic economic rules of life apply - money. It is sad, exciting, harrowing and touching. The authors honesty about himself is refreshing as he does not try to deny his crimes. I suppose the one bit that surprised me, as a Brit, was how from his account British foreign office officials appear not to know what life is really like in foreign prisons. For some reason I sort of expected our diplomatic staff to know this sort of stuff. Anyhow the book has some comic moments and some moments when you cringe.

Trying to think about downsides to the book and none immediately spring to mind.
on 3 November 2016
extremely gripping, not always very happy, story, I would like to give it 4.5 stars as I thought it was very well written, however, there was one section (in the swimming pool) which was so graphically violent that it spoiled the book for me, I didn't feel it was necessary to be so explicit. so avoid this section if you can, you don't miss anything important relating to the story
on 11 November 2011
...because you'll finish this in no time and if you do what I do (order one book, then another just before I finish) you will be bookless for a few days. I got through this book in about 3 days. I normally take a few weeks due to being short on free time and only really reading when I go to bed, but I was pleased to be off work sick as it gave me plenty of time to fly through this book.

Is this a biography, and autobiography? I don't know, but at the same time, I don't really care. You can't help but like Thomas, even though at the end of the day, he is/was a drug smuggler. It would have been good to know a bit more about what happened after he left San Pedro, and how he adjusted to normal life, did he ever get in touch with his woman etc. The only really negative thing about this book is that it may put you off travelling to Bolivia. Its scary how corrupt the place is.

One reviewer mentioned that it will be made into a movie. Really looking forward to that now.