on 13 November 2016
Not suitable for kindle!!! The story in the book is great, I bought it because I enjoyed the first diary "hell" so much. This book has had an awful conversion to kindle however which is inexcusable. i) Archer describes things such a prison menu choices, the pictures of these are too small to be seen properly and double tapping or zooming in does increase the size but at the cost of the resolution, making them too fuzzy to be seen properly. What's worse however, is that a substantial part of the plot is taken up by an artist inmate whose work apparently appears in the book, there are several references to "see colour plate section" no doubt this exists in the printed book version, but it is entirely absent here! Furthermore, the editing is terrible, all books have a few typos etc creep in, but this takes the biscuit! There are several places where there are 4 or 5 mistakes on a single page. Not all books are suitable for a "copy and paste to kindle" job, some require a bit of extra work; where Amazon can't be bothered to do this extra work there should be a warning to customers explaining that not all of the content is available.
on 30 April 2017
What a story (diary)!! So sad on many levels, a real insight to prison life. I am a great believer in "lock them up, throw away the key"……… "do holder's are a pain", but after reading this book, I have to say it's made me think again. It's written in a way I didn't expect. All though as the title suggests, it is a diary. I have read almost every book Jeremy Archer has written, and found
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2013
I had made a conscious decision not to buy this book previously (based in 2001 and published in 2002) as a big part of me wonders why someone should profit from doing wrong. However, I've recently become involved with a local prison and became more curious about Jeffrey Archers experience and also accept that people profit from all sorts of wrong doing.
JA is a captivating story teller and he uses his craft to describe his awful time in Belmarsh, a high security jail where he mixes with murders.
He brings out the practicalities and anxieties of prison in an articulate and straightforward manner, mixed in with a large dose of humour, which is accessible to all (in fact just like his fiction writing).
It is a diary and covers the 21 days he stays in Belmarsh in a day by day format with several timed entries being written on each day. I had a minor problem with the edition that I read having very small print but it was ok once I got used to it.
Most people seem to have a view of JA but what this book shows is that he has a true strength of character and ability to be able to communicate at many different levels.
I expected him to talk more about his crime and the injustice that took him to jail but was pleasantly surprised that he decided to focus on the prison experience. He does mention a few times that he thinks his sentence was too long and that he is appealing but that is completely understandable. This diary was written at the time rather than in retrospect so the traces of bitterness are excused.
Having see JA being interviewed I know that he is a very disciplined writer and, oddly, he seems to fit into the prison regime very easily and use the structure as some sort of comfort, helping him get through each day by breaking up the time into his normal two hour writing sessions.
Interesting read and unusual perspective of the prison world.
on 21 April 2017
A Prison Diary Volume II was a very interesting book and being a personal experience of the author made it doubly so. It should have provided a much needed tomb for the home office minister at the time and his successors giving invaluable information. The fact that the prison officers were so understaffed and demoralised, and being unable to stem the tide of drugs should have spurred the government to much needed action, but unfortunately this does to appear to have happened.
on 1 May 2013
Jeffrey Archer has a happy knack of writing about an apparently boring subject in a very interesting way. He describes graphically the day to day life in Bellmarsh prison and the relationship between the prisoners and their officers. How he managed to survive on so little food while he was in Bellmarsh Prison I’ll never know. No matter how seriously the prisoners have broken the law of the land I see no justification for treating them like animals. If you treat them like animals they may become animals.

This book along with the other two parts should be required reading for all secondary school pupils so they may know the sort of treatment they can expect if they should be sent to prison.

I started by reading the free sample download to see whether it was a book I would enjoy and very quickly went on line to collect the whole edition. I would strongly recommend it to anyone; it is the plain unvarnished truth written in an interesting manner. Well done “Lord Jeff” for documenting life in Bellmarsh in the way you have.
on 9 April 2017
Very factual and honest account of what must be a miserable experience for anybody. Archer conjures up a picture of a regulated life with Mars Bars being a favourite currency! His purchase of emeralds and fine art from behind prison walls somewhat diminishes the impression of just being one of the guys. It does offer a glimpse of a life we all hope never to experience, but there's no surprises or tension that would make it a page turner. The tone is very why me. I got fed up halfway through, but wanted to finish it just because I had bought it.
on 18 January 2015
It is a shame Jeffrey Archer had to learn and pass on to his readers the ins and outs of prison life in that way but life has a tendency to throw things at you in the most unexpected ways. Perhaps he had to go to prison to anchor into reality and inform the world in his quality of successful writer. Through his writing and influence, he has no doubt engineered some changes within the prison system and his journey into the world of incarceration will therefore not have been in vain.

I would certainly recommend this book as an eye opener to all . It undoubtedly captures your attention and at times reaches into the deepest parts of your soul.
VINE VOICEon 22 November 2013
As in volume I, Jeffery Archer uses his natural story telling skills to describe his prison experience, this time in Wayland, a category C prison in Norfolk where he stays for 67 days.
He uses a conversational style which includes the reader by occasionally addressing them directly. He also frequently refers to previous days and drops hints about what is to come.
Yet again he comes across some interesting people. He never trivialises their offences and manages to portray his fellow prisoners as very real rather then turning them into fictional characters.
I regularly visit a category B prison and think that this book is a good way for everyone to see what goes on behind the walls....
on 25 January 2014
I enjoyed Prison Diary 2, but having read Number 1, I knew what to expect. There is a lot of what he is eating-understandable I suppose, but it gives you an idea about prison life. I will read Number 3 if only to find out what happens!! But it can be a little depressing. Quite honestly he does seem to go through "purgatory" and there is in my opinion a lot of "un-just" I found it interesting the way a prison works and how the system is.....but you really have got to feel sorry for him, it must have been such a culture shock and unnessary. Saying this there is a bit of "light relief" the stories are very funny. All in all its entertaining, and worth a read!!
on 14 June 2017
I really enjoyed this fascinating and very interesting book which I had to read for my book club. I then very quickly obtained the next two volumes, Pergatory and Heaven which I'm loving. It's clearly written with jaw-dropping information on almost every page. An experience for most of us but a realisation of how easy it would be to end up in this situation.