• Lucky

Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 March 2004
The magic of Sebold is her ability to share the things that matter to her so eliquently and so easily. As in The Lovely Bones, her other book, along the way of dealing with the plot she shares wonderfully about family and tradegy and life being a young girl, with a sister, growing up.
Being the story around her rape, the book is not one to pick up lightly. But it is well worth it.
I found that it struck a cord with me on a human level, of living with fear and hope.
on 16 July 2004
I read this book partially because I read The Lovely Bones, but largely because I was abused as a child and was interested in reading another person's experience of sexual crime. I found it almost a cathartic experience as, whilst what happened to me and Alice is not exactly the same, it is so nice to read someone openly expressing themselves about this kind of crime and what effect it had on them. Too often this issue is swept under the carpet because its too uncomfortable for people to think about. Sebold's honesty in her account is refreshing. I can totally relate to much of how she feels, and seeing it expressed so freely would surely help any "victim" (I hate that word) understand their own feelings and encourage them to deal with what has happened to them. It has done so for me.

I also feel this is an important book for those who have no experience of this type of crime. It will help them understand the effect it has on those who go through it, and also the horrific way the justice system works in rape cases. Whilst of course it is the American justice system referred to hear, it has many similarities to the UK system and so is still relevant here. However, Sebold steers away from using the book as a criticism of the justice system. The events which happened to her speak far louder than any open criticism, and she lets the events speak for themselves.

Nor is the book an anti-male diatribe, which it easily could have been. Sebold makes little if any judgement on her rapist, again letting events themselves do the talking. She focuses on the events as they affected her life and her feelings and lets the reader come to their own conclusions about the justice system and her attacker. Similarly she is honest about her family and friends reactions, not sugar coating them at all despite her loyalty to them. This again is refreshing and a perspective on this crime which is not often seen.

Sebold's book is better written than her novel, her style much clearer and powerful, and it is much better paced. It is brutally honest, which I am sure some will find uncomfortable. However, rape is an uncomfortable but important subject. Please, please read this book and start to understand this subject.
on 11 January 2006
Having previously read The Lovley Bones (which I would definitley recommend) I purchased Lucky along with about 5 other books. I put off reading it because I thought it might be quite a disturbing read - and it was. But at the same time as being utterly shocked and repulsed by the level of detail of the rape itself, I was also humbled by what an incredibly reslient and brave person Alice Sebold must be.
The book is written with such honesty that you have to admire the writer. She documents not only the attack, but an array of consequences - from subsequent relationships to drug abuse.
It really helps you understand that victims of crimes like this do not simply either get over it or not. That life is not black and white.
A truly amazing read. An eye opener.
on 30 December 2008
Alice Sebold followed this incredible memoir with her sensational fictional debut "The Lovely Bones" which received more coverage than "Lucky" - I have no idea why, and neither will you if you read this book.
"Lucky" is the detailed account of Alice's rape and the effect it has; from her relationships with her friends, new friendships formed, and those it destroys. You also get to learn more about the author's life and what became of her after the rape. the last chapter entitled "aftermath" could, in my opinion, very well be extended and made into a book of its own.
It can be very graphic and is definitely not a recommended read for those under 16. I was happily surprised with the quality of Sebold's writing (it reminds me of Marya Hornbacher's style in 'Wasted' which is also a fantastic read) and you are never left bored. I read this book within 2 days and already know that I will read it again and again over the course of my life.
As I am not a rape victim, I would not know if this is suitable for other victims to read.
Most certainly worth a place on your bookshelf.
on 29 September 2003
After I finished school I became so sick of reading books that I stopped until I was reading a review of this book in a magazine. The next time I went into a book store I decided to buy the book. As soon as I came home and began to read, the first few pages and I was completely hooked! I couldn't believe what she had gone through and desperately wanted to know how she had coped. Beautifully written in accurate and precise language that I believed every word written. She talks in a way that people are aware of what she is talking about and don't need to answer any questions because she answers them all in one go. I found out about 'The Lovely Bones' and couldn't wait to read it. Again she speaks in a way that everybody wants to be able to talk like but can't bring themselves to. By this I mean she is open about everything and honest, no hidden truths, everything displayed as it is without any lies. Thank you very much Alice Sebold, and look very forward to reading your next book!
on 21 May 2004
Excuse the pun but I feel incredibily lucky to have picked up this book. I was actually looking for another autobiography at the time of picking up this book.
Alice Sebold is brutally honest in her description of her rape and her emotions afterwards. There is no pretence, no tip toeing round the subject so if you cannot deal with harrowing facts it may not be the book for you. Being 18 now, the age that Sebold was when she was raped having myself been through such an ordeal at 15 has given me a new view on rape and i felt as if I was being pulled into the book, like a fly on the wall. Lucky inspired me to believe in myself again. The way in which Sebold thrusts the rape in the readers face and manages to dispell all the myths with a writing style full of humour and witt was something which i found fulfiling. It will touch your heart, it certainly did mine.
VINE VOICEon 13 August 2005
Plain and simply, it is a autobiographical account of a serious assault and rape that Alice Sebold suffered as a 17 year old College Student.
It goes without saying that it's a very difficult subject to tackle, but it's done with the kind of tact that makes the reader feel every emotion that she felt along her road to recovery.
Sebold adopts a "no holding back" attitude to the rape, her relationship with her family, friends, and the legal proceedings that followed. This blatant honesty, along with the fluid use of descriptive language means that it's not an exceptionally dark book, despite the subject matter.
on 17 October 2003
It's difficult to comprehend the human spirit and it's sheer force until you read a book like Alice Sebold's. The awful attack and her will to survive and succeed are inspirational.
From the brutal detail of her attack, through to the sensitivity of her observations about both her own and her family's struggle to recover, Alice charts her wrench from adolescence to womanhood in a fitting tribute to friends, family and those few individuals who were a powerful and vital influence upon her and her healing.
I couldn't put this down, my boyfriend couldn't put it down - it's a book that should be read.
on 11 March 2004
Having been a victim of rape myself, I was a little unsure of whether reading this book was a good idea...drudging up old memories I'd rather forget. However, after the first page I knew this was a book I should read. Alice Sebold explains how she was raped and how she coped with it, about how other people percieve you as a rape victim and how you percieve yourself. I found this a very moving account and something which had me crying and nodding understanding all the things she said. Especially when you wonder, if i've been raped, am I still allowed to enjoy sex? This book was kind of like therapy to me. I found her first novel, The Lovely Bones, a very moving read too, however, nothing could be more moving than her brave and frank account of her own terrifying experience. It is the sort of book more people should read, whether you have been a victim of rape, know someone who was, or have had no contact with this kind of crime. In this day and age where victims still have trouble speaking out - we need a role model who can show us its ok to tell someone - you are not an outcast and anyone who thinks different is not worthy of your time. This book will not wave a magic wand and make it all go away, but it certainly helps get some things off your mind. A wonderful, moving and helpful read.
0Comment| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 6 September 2003
Lucky (which Sebold describes as her term for blessed) is a moving account of Sebolds own violent rape. It is a story that is told with great bravery and dignity. Sebold would not want to be seen as a victim, she bravely continued to fight to receive justice for this terrible crime. The book takes us on her journey from the rape and through her battle to refind herself.She is helped by some but as she states she felt that some people lived in her "before" world and she would always live in an "after" the event world.She was changed forever by her ordeal but this is a story of hope and passion. She refuses to lie down and give up.Sebold comes across as a strong woman and this book will touch everyone who reads it.
(Read this along with her book "The Lovely Bones")