Format: Paperback|Change

HALL OF FAMEon 12 February 2002
My family discovered Eva Ibbotson last year with Journey to the River Sea, and now we are all addicts. This is one of the best and funniest. An evil, snobbish pair of cousins want to terrify the heir of Helton Hall to death by renting ghosts from a ghost agency. Fortunately,the orphaned Oliver is sent a kindly family who comfort him and help him overthrow their wicked plot.
This story is hilarious, good-hearted, completely absorbing and told with a verve that makes it perfect to read aloud or to yourself. Thoroughly recommended.
on 27 November 2001
I loved this book It's about A ghost agency who finds homes for ghosts. Several days the agency is open for people who want ghosts to live with them and several days it is open for ghosts who want homes. The ghost family who it is mostly about died when a bomb was dropped on their home. It is a great book for all ages. I highly recomend it.
HALL OF FAMEon 18 March 2002
The idea of an agency for ghosts is a brilliant one, and the uses Ibbotson puts it to as thrilling as can be imagined. A wicked guardian plots to terrify the orphaned heir to a large gloomy castle to death, but meets with unexpected resistance when a nice ghost family is despatched instead of the ghouls he signed up for. Wonderful, entrancing story-telling, recommended for any nervous child of over 8.
on 24 December 2012
I bought these two books for my granddaughter who lives in Spain for her birthday last November. I spoke to her recently by phone and she said that and she had thoroughly enjoyed both books and others by Eva Ibbotson that we had sent her earlier in the year. On our last family visit to Spain our granddaughter had insisted that both my husband and I should read "Journey to the River Sea" by the same author. My husband read it first then passed it on to me and we both found it utterly charming and a super read for young and old alike. I am looking forward to our next visit to Spain when we will ask her if we can borrow some more of the books we sent her by Eva Ibbotson.

Jean Davies
on 30 July 2009
What a fab, funny and entertaining read. My daughter has listened to this numerous times and still enjoys it. The characters are creative and the plot is original with a twist towards the end.
on 15 January 2013
yet another beautifully written children's book from one of the best children's authors around. reading to my son is no longer a bit of chore since we discovered Ibbotson
on 8 September 2014
Great story! I read the whole unputdownable book. No doubt, my nieces and nephews will love the book. I am going to get another book by same author, Eva Ibbotson. She is truly a gifted storyteller.
on 13 November 2015
What's not to like? It's Eva Ibbotson and the story is original and wonderfully written. My 8 year old loves it.
on 12 February 2015
Fantastic story but be warned quite gruesome in its ghost descriptions and needed some editing for my 8 year old.