Customer reviews

Deenie
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 September 2017
great read for 10 year old.
on 26 September 2017
Don't think this was the full original book! Costs enough too.
on 13 June 2017
My 10 yr old loved it! And I remember enjoying as a child. Was good to see my daughter eager about reading.
on 26 July 2017
Judy Blume is my daughter's favorite author. it is a second hand book but the quality is great.
on 19 March 2017
Daughter loved this book...
on 5 November 2011
The book is about a 13 year old girl struggling with life. I think people can relate to this book in some way. The girl has a very pushy mother who is constantly dragging her to interviews to be a model althogh 13 year old Deenie isn't sure, while struggling with family life, school and freinds she is told she has scoliosis, she has to be fitted with a brace and she is very paronoid her mum isn't making things any easier and thinks it's Deenie's fault. She can't be a model with a brace on her back. I did like this book and I think it was a nice light read however there wasn't a lot of content I still enjoyed it. I recommend to 10-15 year olds.
on 26 April 2002
This is a great book about a young girl who discovers she has scoliosis (curvature of the spine) and the effects it has on her life. It's all about how she reacts to it and learns to deal with it, and with her friends reactions to the scoliosis and in particular the brace she has to wear.
As a 'girl' with scoliosis myself, I found this book very realistic and helpful, I first read it at 9 and 12 years later I'm still reading it again and again. It is a great book with brilliant charachters and I would (and have) recommended it to all my friends.
Whether you are just looking for a good book, or whether you want to learn about the struggle girls have with scoliosis, it is a great book and well worth a read.
BORROW IT, READ IT, THEN YOU WILL WANT TO BUY IT!
on 9 March 2013
This short book is aimed at a young pre=teen audience. Deenie is a 7th grader who has a mum and aunt who adamant that one day she will be a famous model. Their expectations for Deenie's sister, Helen, are that she will have some type of high flying academic career. Neither of these things are what the girls want for themselves.

Deenie is discovered to have scoliosis of the spine and has to wear a back brace for four years. This causes deep insecurities and embarassment for Deenie and she is worried that the one boy she likes will no longer be interested.

The book is told from Deenie's perspective with the correct thought processes of a girl her age. The characterisation is very good for all the character's who are all very different from each other.

This has been a banned and challenged book due to some of it's content which focuses on female masturbation for comfort and on Deenie's questions about sex as a young adolescent, but I felt the subjects were covered sensitively and accurately.

The general style and simplicity of the book put me in mind of a readership age of about of about 10 years old or maybe even younger but the content is more appropriate for girls aged 12-14. This is a disparity which does not work.

I also felt that the ending was rather abrupt, more could definitely been said.

Overall I would give this book 3/5 stars.
on 29 December 2001
Deenie is the story of a teenage girl whose mother's dream is for her to become a model. Deenie isn't so sure about this but goes along with it to please her mother. When Deenie is diagnosed with Scoliosis, a condition of the spine which means she has to wear a back brace, Deenies mothers dreams of her beautiful daughter becoming a model are shattered. Though Deenie is relieved not to have to become a model she hates wearing the brach, but it doesn't look like she has much choice......
This book is written in a simple, readable style as are many Judy Blume books. The dialogue is very realistic and the characters are interesting and believable.
This is a very enjoyable book that deals with interesting issues that many authors are scared to discuss. A must for every Judy Blume fan!
on 13 November 2009
This book is great! I was gripped from the first page and read it in 2 days flat. I think that this book gets the message across that not everyone is perfect, you have got to accept people the way they are. I love that Deenie is learning how to accept herself and explores a lot of herself through the journey with the story.This is a great book and all ages above 10 or 11 could read this book with a good understanding of the message and plot. I read it and I am 12. One of the best books I have read, I think i could probably read it again and still with as much excitement as the first time.