on 30 March 2007
I read this book when I was 10, and couldn't put it down. I wasn't exactly an avid reader at that age, but it just drew me in and changed everything for me. I didn't forget it. It taught me things I was too shy to ask about, and was almost a friend to a 10 year old girl who was slightly confused about periods, boys, bras etc. but was also very intrigued and wanted to find out more.

I went on to read all the Judy Blume books, but not before I read this one a few times over. It warmly introduced me to a world that I wasn't quite sure how to ask about.

If you know any girls aged between about 8-13 definitely get them this. I'm sure they'll love it, and like me won't forget it.

This book will always have a special place in my heart!
on 23 November 2004
I first read this book when I was about 11. At the time I was going through all the usual "growing up" experiences and desperately wanted to be a woman, well before my time. This excellent book by Judy Blume gave me the insight that being a woman, will come at its own natural pace, and of course I didn't have to wait very long. It's lighted hearted ways of dealing with normal pre-teen problems, which come with all the highs and lows in life, is so meaningful and so poignant. I still have the book, which I read only a few months ago.
Even 20 years later, it's still a fantastic read, and took me back to being a child again. Well done Judy Blume for keeping me a sane 11 year old!!
on 19 December 2003
I am a 12 year old girl and am like any other girl of my age,insecure. Reading this book brings a smile to your face because as you read it you match your everyday problems to the ones in the book. I could give every character in this book a name because each one was like me a friend or even a family member.It makes you want to read it again and again.
on 2 August 2002
This was the first Judy Blume book I read. I was about 11 at the time, and I was so engrossed I read it in one sitting. There are no long winded passages, the book gets straight to the point involving you immediately, and takes you on a delightful journey through an important part of Margaret's life as she grows up. There are no heavy duty storylines in this, but it really doesn't need any. It's the perfect book for young teenagers to read as Judy Blume seems to be 'inside the head' of anyone that age, and so they are able to relate to it perfectly.
For me, 'Are you there God? It's me, Margaret' was just the beginning. I went on to read them all - and at 27, I still pick them up now and again, for some much loved nostalgia!
on 12 January 2002
This is a really good book. I enjoyed it. I became gripped to the story as soon as I started it. If you are a young teenager and you want a book to relate to, this is the story to read. The book reminds me of my friends and I and what we think about in life. Things which you may think are serious are written to be funny and it puts a whole different light on growing up.
on 18 June 2002
I think this book is absolutley brilliant!It is so true to life and real. Not many authors could have gotit as spot on as Judy Blume has done! It is such a worthwhile read, i have read it about 7 times and each time you read it you know exactly what the characters are going through and where they are coming from. I reccomend this book to anyone with a heart!
on 14 June 2006
This book is about a girl who goes to live in new jersey. I thought it was fantastic. It helps me with my fear of having a period. It was very humourous to read. I would recomend it to people having/getting their period.
on 25 October 2001
I first read this book a couple of years ago and I still haven't forgot it. Judy Blume is a great writer and manages to write a funny, realistic book for teenagers without the awful novelty and deals with seirous subjects too. eg one half of Margaret's family is jewish and the other christian and she feels she needs to be one or the other.
Buy this even if just for the one liners!
on 20 September 2013
i read this book when i was 13 - im now 46 and have ordered it for my daughter! A great book for girls who want to grow up to quickly - a few good lessons in here which kids accept more readily from Judy as opposed to Mum! Arrived quickly - a good buy if you have young daughters or want to revisit your youth!
on 4 February 2015
I read this first when I was about 11 which was more than 20 years ago. I loved it back then and it helped me understand issues a n 11 year old might need further understanding in. Not 'just' menstruation, boobs, bras and boys, but also the difficulties and choices in fitting in with a group of friends, to follow the crowd or not, personal spiritual and religious decisions, life changing for worse and for better, losing loved ones and finding your own real self. And its done through the hard to put down, fun writing of Judy Blume through the eyes of Margaret who is easy to empathise with and enjoy.

I bought it recently for my now 7 year old as an old friend reminded me of it. I am rereading it at first to check the age appropriateness for my daughter but to be honest I am now just enjoying it again! There are lots of things in it I want her to read and ask us about and as a mature and curious 7 year old with friends blooming into adolescence I think I will give it to her and let her decide. Despite being over 40 years old its surprising how little of it is old fashioned - obviously the call each other on landline phones, there's no texting! But in terms of family life, school life, friends etc its all exactly the same for me twenty year after being written and hopefully my daughter will enjoy it 40 years after being published!