Customer reviews

on 30 November 2010
I have just purchased this boxed set of Just William books, bought as a present for my 8 year old grandson. Talk about a trip back in time! Absolutely brilliant, reliving all my emotions from all those years ago. I can't believe it possible to have some much pleasure second time round, particularly after an interval of some 60 years!
on 6 March 2009
I can't claim to have been alive when the `William` books were set, but I was a smal boy in a Leicestershire village in the 1950's and spent most of my time out in he fields with my pals. In my bedroom at home my parents had provided me with a bookcase of - rather elderly - books. I avoided one of them like the plague - it was entitled `William the Conqueror` - and I thought it was stuffy historical tome. When I eventually got round to looking at it more closely I found it was a magical book that transported me into another world - not so much different to my own. From then I was `William Brown` fanatic. I read all the stories - and tried to act out some of Williams antics - I failed usually.
So when I saw this 10 book boxed set I bought it in eager anticipation to re-live my childhood. I work shifts so there is an opportunity for me to do a bit of reading around 3am. I took the first book - Just William - to work, read three quarters of it, and left it in the locker room to continue my read the next night. Someone nicked it!!
I'm not sure whether to be annoyed because my 10 book set is now a 9 book set, or to be pleased that I have created another fan of my childhood hero. I know that whoever took it liked it - they haven't returned it. Fortunately I have 9 other books of `William` to read - and if they are as brilliant as the part of volume 1 I managed to read I won't be disappointed.
on 8 August 2001
If you feel the need to get self-righteous about William's never getting his just deserts, you're missing the point completely. Two reasons: one is that William is and presumably always has been a fantasy of freedom, even if he appears to be hemmed in by his family, school, all the things that he dislikes so much... The other reason is that for many of us, the just deserts are much more frightening in the anticipation. William does get into trouble, but a lot of his time is spent agonisingly trying to devise ways to counteract or postpone the trouble he's sensibly expecting to get into for something he's already done. He isn't to be taken as a serious role model, I'm afraid, or not in his entirety, and no sensible person would judge him as such...
on 16 October 2015
Quick delivery and a good price for 10 new books. Essential reading for all adults who like a bit of escapism by remembering their childhood. Many hilarious moments here! A nice change from detective/crime novels.
on 2 August 2015
Absolutely perfect ,,, read these as a child & thought I'd get them for my grandchildren ,,, updated version of the original & very very entertaining
on 12 December 2013
Hopefully, my grandson will enjoy reading these. My only comment would be that it would have been good to have had these books in a boxed set.
on 19 February 2015
best price and good quality paper,fun to read and most of all the paper smells just great.gives the old library feeling.worth a buy
on 9 February 2015
My grandson loves these books, he now takes one to school for his reading project.
on 8 January 2016
All good and arrived quickly- would have been improved by being presented in boxes
on 13 January 2017