Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 December 2012
Strangely enough, this book would have been better as a one off play for TV .Otherwise, I found the book over farcical with dated references, and unless I was sent a proof copy, was full of grammatical errors!
on 20 April 2001
After reading Temprell's second novel, Previous Convictions, I went out and bought his first and enjoyed it thoroughly. The Rich Man's Table is a delight from start to finish and, although not a particularly profound piece of literature, it is a light-hearted diversion crammed full with amusing and eccentric characters. A perfect holiday novel: I read it in two sittings whilst relaxing in Corfu and I have shared it now with several friends. Every now and then one requires a little fun in ones life and in between the Dostoyevsky and the Kafka one needs some light-relief in the form of intelligent, quirky humour. Temprell seems to have joined the ranks of contemporary authors who can tell a page-turning story with wit and wickedness.
on 16 February 2000
I knew nothing about this book when I bought it last week but I heard the author talking about it on a local radio station and thought it sounded like fun. As soon as I met the hideously funny Felicity Craven I knew that I was going to love it and anyone who screamed with laughter at Edina Monsoon in 'Ab Fab' will share my enthusiasm for this witty and well written book. Unlike 'Ab Fab' the author offers us some poignant solace with his second character Claire Brown who is a humble woman on the edge of poverty. Without giving too much away her story is a perfect foil for the brittle superficiality of Felicity's life and, as the reader, I found myself greatly affected by Claire's story while laughing at the ribauld details of the other varied characters. Quick and easy to read I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to have a giggle at the expense of the rich and pretentious.
on 12 April 2001
I picked this book up encouraged by the blurb on the back which tantalised me with the prospect of an author who outwitted the likes of EF Benson and was more fabulous than AB Fab. Well the book stinks!
Temprell seems to be striving for some of the style of Robert Roddi or Joe Keenan, but falls woefully short of his aim. Indeed the only parts of the book that stand up at all are derivative of the above authors as it seems Temprell has no original voice of his own.
The story line is poorly paced and predictable in the extreme. The characters are wooden and unengaging and the dialogue is unimaginative and lacks any sparkle.
In short there is little fun to be had at the Rich Man's table - avoid at all costs!
on 15 October 2000
Quite by chance, I was given this book from a friend here in the US. From the moment I met Felicity and all those that cross her path, I could not put the book down. Completely entertaining and engaging. I can't wait to get the next release of Simon's work.