on 31 October 2017
A fairly good story, and one that’s easy to convey horror. This novel has real horror in it, the horror and torture of Nazi practices, and later a supernatural horror. It’s by no means Herbert’s finest work, but it’s interesting non the less.
|0Comment|Report abuse
Herbert always delivers. I first read this book as a teenager, but recently got the urge to revisit all his early books. The Spear is a great story told at a breakneck pace, if you've never read it, I strongly recommended you do.
on 14 October 2012
I brought this book in second hand paperback 30 years ago but never read it. So I got it on Kindle and read it.

It's an awesome read, vary gripping, action-packed and quite brutal in places.

Some Nazi fanatics raised Himmler back from the dead to lead their new Reich organisation with the plan of ruling the world. Stead an, private detective, ex-Mossad and ex-MI5 agent must stop them.

Note on Kindle version: no proplems with formatting, typos or anything else. Chapters with back and forth tabbing.
on 3 December 2017
Read this book many many years ago and loved it and made James Herbert my favourite author. So I have re-purchased it now that James is no longer with us, recommend his books to horror readers.
on 31 July 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed this book as I have with the other books, by James Herbert, that I have read

Although dated (smoking in hotel rooms??!!) the book is still riveting hence the five star rating I have given it

Now on to the next, again by James Herbert, this book will be a hard act to follow!!!
on 2 February 2018
There isn't a James Herbert book that I did not enjoy and could not put down.
on 5 August 2017
Yet again total satisfaction after reading another Herbert novel, reading my way through all of his books as I do every 2 to 3 years.
on 22 January 2014
I first read this book in my teens and loved it then, so when I finally gave in a bought a Kindle this was one book I had to get. Really enjoyed revisiting the book that got me a reasonable grade in the book review part of my O level English and also made me look into Wagnerian opera.
on 9 October 2016
In my opinion this is both a thriller and a horror story combined.the character s are both interesting and believable.the pace and story crack on at breakneck speed.it's hard to think this was written in 1978' really good
One person found this helpful
on 17 April 2013
A gripping and mesmerising offering from James Herbert.
I have read it several times and each time it captures the reader. It eludes to historical fact, wrapped up in suspense and drama, The historical past of the spear comes to light, together with the stories of those who wished to use its powers.