Customer reviews

Collected Poems (Revised)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 March 2013
I came to Causley via Susan Hill's 'Howard's End is on the Landing' in which she trumpets Causley both as a poet and as a person. This is a comprehensive collection but it rather stints on his writing for children, possibly to redress the impression that poetry for the young was all he wrote. Rather oddly I started with the last poem 'Eden Rock' which quite simply devastated me in the wake of my father's death. A reminder that the poet can say more in a line than novelists can in an entire book. It's perhaps time for a re-appreciation of Charles Causley's work and this is as good a place to start as any.
11 people found this helpful
on 16 August 2011
Most of the points made by the two previous reviewers are very apposite. As a Cornishman, I am ashamed to state that I had not realised the breadth of Charles Causley's oeuvre, it's superb. Reading the 'naval' poetry, set during the Second World War, in 2011, I'm impressed that one can almost feel one was there. Living about sixteen miles from his home adds something to my enjoyment of his work...just a shame that the house is not open to the public (I understand all the papers were removed by the University of Exeter and it's, basically, just the shell that is left - if only the National Trust could be enticed to take over but, then again, they might have a similar situation as at Max Gate with little for the visitor to view).

Whilst I have not yet read every poem, about three-quarters have had some sort of impact. Some of the poetry begs more in the way of footnotes and I cannot help thinking that a really comprehensive 'Introduction' would enhance a future volume.
13 people found this helpful
on 22 August 2017
Love this poet and this is an excellent and updated publication of his works which is beautifully done.
2 people found this helpful
on 17 November 2016
Bought this for my sister's birthday as she had been seeking this book from high street bookshops without success.
She is absolutely thrilled with it and wonders why the high street booksellers were unaware of an updated version.

Highly recommend this book to any keen poetry lover. Amazon is amazing for tracking books we want!
on 23 April 2018
ok
on 24 January 2018
Very good
on 3 November 2017
A lovely book, very gentle and typical of that period of time in Cornwall.
on 1 September 2017
This is a great of collection of Causley's poems. So many gems in here - he is one of Britain's underrated poets.
on 27 January 2018
One of my favourite poets. This collection demonstrates his wide range and accessibility
on 12 February 2017
I have been looking for this for a long time and am delighted to have found it