Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 January 2016
Strange - probably because it's true.
on 16 November 2004
I got as far as the first word before I realised that I had to believe every word in this book. Everything that is described herein is either 100% FACT or the biggest pile of warm elephants droppings ever.
One thing I can say is: if it is true, these guys are the ones we're relying on to protect us from enemies.
Who is going to protect us from them?
When army generals get the belief they can walk through walls, it's time to ask some serious questions about the command structure...
on 19 January 2010
The Men Who Stare at Goats film tie-in

Disturbing if true!

People in high places instigating very dubious practices, and seriously believing they will work.
When high ranking armed forces personnel think they can psyche themselves into a state where they can walk through walls, or kill goats by staring them, then I wonder if we should question their sanity and ability to safeguard the nations they are serving. I am a great believer in mind over matter, but not to this extent!

Parts of the book were laugh-out-loud funny, others were plain scary
on 17 April 2007
It's an enjoyable book, but doesn't really have much of a coherent argument or structure. There are lots of really entertaining observations, some good investigative journalism and fun anecdotes, but they don't really connect together very well. The central premise of the book is that weird stuff happened within the US army after Vietnam, and post 9-11 some of that weirdness has come back. I don't think many people doubt this anyway, so the book doesn't really shock or present startling conclusions. Despite this I'd recommend it as an enjoyable read, it is easy to read and funny but I think hard-core conspiracy nuts would be disappointed.

Jim
on 19 January 2016
Interesting story.
on 16 January 2016
A fascinating read
on 9 October 2015
Great thankyou
on 22 January 2016
I'm sorry to say I found this completely boring. The lack of a plot was one problem. he lack of any protagonist with whom one could identify was another. Was it supposed to be funny? It isn't.
on 10 October 2015
Fantastic.
on 18 March 2013
The monkeys really are running the asylum. Some of those covert sections of the military are so out there. You wouldn't want them trying out their s*** on you that's for sure. Beware hamsters....