on 20 September 2015
I usually tend to associate Hutson exclusively with horror, so this was something different. A reality check if you will! It's all centred around an old people's home, or should I say assisted living quarters? Or sheltered housing? In these politically correct times, it's important to choose the least offensive term possible. Anyway, it's about a group of teenagers from hell, whether out of boredom, or attention seeking purposes, having caused trouble all over town, from vandalism to burglary, decide to aggressively target the home, and its equally vulnerable residents. However, they soon get a lot more than they bargained for when the residents fight back, big style! It all goes a bit Reservoir Dogs in places, and gets more than a little unsettling when you discover what kind of behaviour ordinary, inoffensive people can be capable of when provoked! Towards the end of the book, you get a feeling of uneasy calm, but no hope of a solution to this long term problem, that teenagers left to their own devices will get up to mischief. I think this would make a brilliant one off drama, as it reflects reality, but the violence would have to be toned down a bit! It's like Home Alone, where Macaulay Culkin says 'This is my house, I have to defend it!' And this is the sentiment echoed by the residents! Ronni, the boss of the place, doesn't like the idea of this at all, but there's always a Buzz Killington out to spoil the fun, isn't there? And the residents take her out! Out of the equation, not out, out! If you like the idea of Grannies and Grandpas kicking ass Quentin Tarentino style, then this is for you!
on 2 December 2014
I purchased this book as a means to tasting Hutson's work and I have to say I'm not disappointed. I had looked through all his novels and chose this one as it had a strong focus on revenge and vigilantism ( a passion of mine).Hutson writes dark but beautifully, using short,snappy sentences and minimalistic paragraphs that work well the story told.

Unlike other readers, I didn't have a problem with the graphic violence or animal cruelty (he's not called the master of gore for nothing), but I wish some aspects had been taken care of in a different way.

To begin with, I felt it took too long for the action to kick in, and there's too much unneccesary dialogue. 60-70 pages could have been easily taken out. But that's just nit-picking. However, I do think there's a real problem with the way the old people start taking the law into their own hands when things get ugly. It's true they had been through a lot, but in my view that behaviour is over the top and could not possibly happen in real life.

Still, a solid page-turner that delivers
on 5 June 2013
This is the third book by Hutson that I've read and by far the most disturbing. Perhaps that's because I'm a senior citizen like the characters in the story, yet can't imagine behaving like them, whatever the provocation by the youngsters. The implausability of the over-the -top sadism, by the old people, spoils the plot for me. As a previous reviewer has said, the kid's actions did not justify this retribution.
Mr. Hutson has a very dark imagination to write about ordinary situations one minute and then to assault the reader with graphic descriptions of torture, deaths (and sex).
His books are hard to put down - but you need a strong stomach.
on 13 May 2018
I have read neally all of his books and this is one of his better ones.A good story,easy to follow and a good read.
on 9 May 2014
great book,excellent condition.
was a story I read many years ago,and used to speak about it to friends.
still is one of shaun's best. creates great atmosphere,and is a MUST read!!
on 1 June 2015
Quick delivery, good quality DVD and well packaged, recommend.
on 30 June 2015
Thank You.!!
on 8 November 2017
Excellent book
on 26 July 2014
great book
VINE VOICEon 12 September 2008
This is the first book by Shaun Huston that I have read - and it deffinatly won't be the last!

Very exciting and fast-paced, I was hooked from the start and found it very difficult to stop reading once I had picked it up and ended up reading the whole book in one day. Lots of suspenceful moments and cliffhangers at the end of chapters make you want to continue reading to find out how things turn out.

The plot is that a gang of teenagers - mostly chavs aged around 14 - decide to target an old peoples home. At first it starts with spraypainting the walls outside and sending threatening notes but throughout the book the violence escaltes untill the residents of the home are forced to take dramatic action.
The view-point changes in chapters between that of the youths and of elderly.

Very good horror novel which I really enjoyed and would deffinatly reccomend. Will now be looking out to buy other Shaun Hutson novels.