Customer reviews

Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains
Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 April 2017
Dated and a bit too self-indulgent. Krakauer is at his best when there is some degree of separation between him and his subject. Read this only after Where Men Win Glory, Under the Banner of Heaven, Into Thin Air, and Into the Wild
on 27 August 2017
love the style of writing, a great collection of stories making this an excellent companion read
on 20 June 2015
Very disappointing. I was hoping for a book on climbing the high mountains, but there were only a couple of chapters which held my interest. The other chapters were taken from individual essays on boulder climbing, times in tents, etc. I know Jon had been involved in good exciting climbs, but these were not touched upon. He goes well down my list.
VINE VOICEon 9 May 2000
A series of very well written short stories by the master of mountain writing. Funny, moving, scary and above all accessable. Dont expect great long epis, this looks at the lighter side of mountaineering.
on 6 March 2003
A wonderful collection of short stories. Crazy ,likeable characters in, to say the least ,unusual & challenging situations.All written with great humour, Mr. Krakauer knows how to tell a good story. The account of the Mt.McKinley climb is probably one of the best & funniest short stories I ever read. Maybe even more enjoyable for non-climbers ( I am not), just to find out about the mad men of the mountains.Well recommended.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 July 2010
This book is a collection of articles written and previously published by Jon Krakauer (with one chapter a joint written one) and it's worth noting that most of it isn't actually about the Eiger. Each chapter takes a different element of perspective of the different types of climbing or the personalities in climbing and each gives a superb taster, whetting the appetite for more climbing literature.

If you've already read other climbing books there may be some repetition here but for new climbing reader this is a great introduction into the culture and legends of mountaineering and climbing. I really enjoyed it but it is ripe for an update having been written in the late 1980s and it frequently refers to things that should be happening just as the book/article was written. A second edition would be great to tie up these loose ends.

I'm not a climber (it's far too scary for me) but I love reading about the adventures of others. Definitely a collection rather than a progressive story it's still very readable, very interesting and very enjoyable. Recommended.
HALL OF FAMETOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 February 2008
People have always pushed to accomplish more. When one of my best friends took up mountain climbing well into his fifties after he back wasn't up to golf any more, I began to wonder what the sport was all about. Having remembered that Jon Krakauer is both a wonderful writer and an adventuresome climber, it seemed like I might learn the answers by reading this book. I was more than amply rewarded for my curiosity.

Knowing that adventures are better heard as a story rather than read, I also opted for Philip Franklin's reading for Books on Tape. This was a stunningly good choice. Mr. Franklin makes you feel like you are right there as you look down from dizzying heights of thousands of feet while being held up by a small patch of crumbling ice.

The diversity of the stories is remarkable, from those who want to set records for getting up dangerous new routes to those who want to set records for speed in sport climbing (lots of strength and technique but not much risk). I was very surprised by some of the stories, including the ones about climbing "impossible" boulders that might be only 30 feet high and tall columns of crumbling frozen water . . . unattached to any nearby rock.

Mr. Krakauer has a wonderful ability to bring you into the stories by recounting his own fearful beginnings as a climber and the ways that he has sought release from humdrum cares by climbing. You'll find yourself chilled to the bone in places, even though you may be sitting in front of a roaring fire. It's a great trip!

I don't think I'll take up climbing, but I am indebted to this brilliant exposition of climbing's appeal.
on 11 September 1999
This collection of essays by climber and journalist Jon Krakauer is a real eye-opener. It shows just how diverse the world of mountaineering has become. The subjects range from accounts of some of Krakauer's own exploits, including an aborted attempt on the north face of the Eiger, to humorous portraits of the pilots who fly mountaineers onto glaciers.
What makes the book such an entertaining read is Krakauer's disarming honesty and his knack for getting under the skin of his subject and understanding what makes people tick.
Recommended reading for all armchair mountaineers.
on 22 February 2000
I have read a few climbing books, and apart from the fact that I still don't quite know why these guys do it, I find most modern writers on the subject vaguely stimulating. More often than not, I read the first 50 pages or so, but then I get bored. Not so with John Krakauer's work here. His style very is well placed, he obviously knows what he's talking about, and his own ideas seem to come through a little. I just wish that other authors on the same subject could lighten up a bit.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 March 2008
Krakauer does it again with 'Eiger Dreams', a book of gripping climbing articles with his highly readable and captivating style. This book has a selection of articles looking at various aspects of climbing, from glacial pilots to life around a french climbing town and canyon exploration to Himalayan adventures. This book pretty much has it all. Each article is expertly written and I was engrossed from the moment I opened the book. I've read all of Krakauers other books and have to say this lived up to my high expectations. Great adventure stories to inspire or terrify depending on your temperament!!! Highly recommended.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.