Customer reviews

on 13 May 2017
Interesting stuff. But Robyn is a great writer, and I wish there was more.
on 27 January 2005
When I was given this book, I had heard of very few of the authors. However, after reading it I wanted to know more. The writing is, for the most part, excellent. There were few authors in the compilation whose writing I didn't appreciate. Having seen the movie of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", I could see every picture in my head as I read. When reading of the expedition to retrieve Penguin eggs from Antartica, I saw the pain that the explorers went through. I travelled in the footsteps of Napoleon's army, trudging across Russia, retreating from the cold. A great set of excerpts.
I loved this book, I found it deep, wide-ranging, really surprising in the choice of pieces of travel writing, not at usual, but just mind-expanding to read.

You can see I loved it. But more than that - I have ordered Berlioz's Memoirs as a result of reading this book - his writing was so clear and honest. The selection of writers and the lengths of the selections was great. It is a journey in itself to go through from London, to Africa and so on. My only complaint is that there wasn't more of it.

The range of writing presented here shows the editor really was original, and challenging in her choice of material.

I have to say, i don't think i enjoyed a book this much for years.
on 19 March 2015
I bought it for myself as I want to know how the authors go through their experiences of travelling to their choice of countries.
on 24 September 2014