on 29 August 2001
The hero, if you can call him that, is the most put-upon, unlucky character I've ever encountered. Largely self-taught, he is a social misfit whose intellect is utterly wasted on his inbred contemporaries. His life of misfortunes has to be read to be believed. The black humor and pathos is awesome. This is one of the best books I have read in years. It went straight into my top ten.
on 5 February 2001
This book really grabbed me and held on to me all the way through. The intensely disaster-success story of young John Kaltenbrunner made me laugh and cry, cheer and shake my head. Read it!
on 9 March 1999
This is on of the best books I've read. I am lucky to be one of the first in the U.S. to read it, but it's a luck I'd like to share with others. The book is fast, funny, and has the most amazing cast of characters since One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. For a young writer, Egolf shows remarkable poise and a sure hand with language, plotting, and character development. If this is what he has done with his first book, the literary world is in for quite a few surprises.