Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 July 2017
This doesn't grab me in the same way as his other work, which I've read so quickly. Still infinitely better than a lot of stuff out there.
on 17 August 2017
A stunning body of work written in a style that reflects a time in american history that still ponders many questions. A tale of youth that touches upon the inner wanderlust of any culture that is adventurous - yet seeking wisdom.
on 18 May 2015
Bought as present for somebody with heath issues who said it took them thru a few sleepless nights and held them spellbound .However have read this trilogy a few years back.A stunning read. Both beautiful and bleak.
on 5 September 2017
Great novel
on 26 January 2013
Cormac McCarthy is a superb writer. I cannot fault him. He is also a great story teller. Out of three novels my favourite is The Crossing. McCarthy's work will continue to be read long after he is gone. He is one of the greatest writers of this era.
on 7 June 2017
The best book I've ever read, so far. Strongly recommend it.
on 17 September 2017
Pleased with this book, seriously good writing.
VINE VOICEon 29 November 2012
If I'd known then what I do now... I'd have bought the first book in this trilogy and probably the third. I can see what all the fuss was about: McCarthy's prose is beautiful. I didn't notice the lack of punctuation commented on by other reviewers, but I was aware of the repetitive use of the word 'and' to stitch phrases together. This device, it seems, serves as his punctuation and I think it suits his style.

I found 'All The Pretty Horses' awesomely good. McCarthy's characters tend not to say what they mean, which makes for a deep subtext and a fearsome tension. The teenage John Grady has his future pulled out from under him at the start and his every word and action thereafter is loaded with meaning. I don't understand Spanish, but I understood the gist of the dialogue by what followed these exchanges.

'The Crossing', however, did nothing for me. It came across as a novel in search of a plot, little more than a dull travelogue. I didn't believe in Billy Parham; he didn't seem to have Grady's presence or motivation. I found his decision-making bizarre. As a consequence, the dialogue and technical detail wasn't as charged as it was in the first novel. This is also one of those novels that contains dozens of woolly, philosophical one-liners that don't add up to much. The best philosophical moments in the trilogy tend to arise from simple interaction between the characters. 'The Crossing' is the longest book of the three and felt twice as as long as it really is.

'Cities Of The Plain', in which Grady and Parham appear together (the first two books are set mostly during WW2, this one a few years after it's ended), is more than passable and builds up to a wonderful climax (though I have reservations about the epilogue). It also confirmed for me that Grady is a much more powerful character than Parham, who didn't particularly resemble the youth of 'The Crossing'.

McCarthy for me proves that simpler, well-worn subjects such as love and fortune still have the most potential. My recommendation would be only to buy the single-volume trilogy if it costs less than the first and third combined.
on 24 May 2017
This is a trilogy to come back to, repeatedly, because always you will find something fresh in the writers words. This is no mere novel, this is an elevated art form that will speak to generations of readers long after Amazon and its founder seek repose in the ground. There is the friendship, the landscape, the core morality that the protagonists possess in volumes. It is tender, wicked, beautiful and sincere, an evocation complete and replete with prose that should be examined under a jewellers eyepiece it is so vital, compassionate and valuable.
Cormac has produced with this trilogy, Suttree and Blood Meridian work that requires a lifetime to absorb, should you choose to absorb it other forms of nourishment are weak. There are not many writers around, could list them on an amputated hand, but Cormac is one, read his work and prepare to become undone.
on 31 March 2016
This is a large volume to hold (and I am still a fan of 'real' books) but the content is awesome. McCarthy's prose is beautiful and easily compares to e.g. D H Lawrence. The three stories are easy to follow and nothing like as complicated as 'No Country for Old Men', which is not to say that they are simplistic. Having been born and raised in post war Britain it is hard to imagine what life must have been like for young men left alone by circumstances to fend for themselves in rural USA. The only slight carp I would make is that they seem to embody the idealised 'all American guy' but nevertheless it was a terrific read.