on 18 July 1999
One of the most embarrassing moments ever experienced, is, when sat on a plane, you laugh out loud at the book which you are reading, even though you have read this book 3 or 4 times! This is the effect this book will have on you, although perhaps only if you comprehend the British sense of humour, the English class system and the problem of experienceing emotional ****wittage, being female and not 5'10", size 10 and 8 1/2 stone(with legs up to your armpits)and understanding the implications of hearing a certain "tick-tock", whilst only having your father in your fan club!!! Don't be put off though if you don't understand all this, as you soon will!(But understand this is one portrayal of society - not the rule!) This is a hysterically funny book - very well written - and before you despair... somewhere withing there is a true love story within - but I won't tell you where!
on 2 January 2000
I enjoyed every nanosecond of this book, in fact, I devoured it in one sitting and then found myself starting all over again once I had finished! I find something new everytime I open a page. 'f**kwittage' has become part of the vocabulary of my closest female friends because it is utterly true, especially about men! Bridget is a personification of all female terrors, highlighting the smaller ones that no-one will ever admit about our mothers, our friends and our lovers (The 'mini-break' is a perfect example). I have just recieved 'The Edge of Reason' as a Christmas present and it seems just as funny, if not funnier than the first. I have thrust copies of this book into the palms of all of my female friends and would recommend it to anyone! Men may find it completely beyond them, however, as it requires an in-depth look into the female psyche that all women have but only a few women show!
on 24 April 2001
A brilliant CD incorporating a wide variety of music that would appeal to all! Don't hesitate in buying it.
on 5 June 2001
During the year Bridget has a lot of ups and downs and mood swings. She has to live through her love problems, her annoying parents' friends, her parents' split, her mother's sudden change in lifestyle and many other situations which she finds hard to deal with. This book is ideal for women who find life difficult, it's something to laugh at and to know that there are other people with problems. Some of he things Bridget does are unbelievable. The amount of bad things she had to go through in just one year make you sympathise with and want to help this woman who is only a character in a well-written book. The smallest things like finding out how to work her Video recorder to tape a program for her irritating mother are exaggerated, making it seem like the hardest thing on earth, she gives up in the end! I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a good, comical read and especially the women who feel they can relate to the book.
on 26 May 1999
The book undoubtedly had its moments. People were looking at me strangely when I sniggered over it on the bus. On the other hand, at times it got unbelievebly boring and started repeating itself to the point of annoyance. Should you buy it? Beats me. I did...
on 30 November 1999
I too like so many of the other reviewers have had the embarrasment of laughing out loud in the strangest places. My housemates think that I am mad, but I too have converted them to Bridget. It's good to know that I am not the only one out there who worries about her weight, the tick tock of "the clock" and also about the prospect of being a singleton for the rest of my life, while all Smug marrieds get on with being smug.Bridget should be read by everyone, of all ages (well over 20 anyway), they will see at least one character that they can relate to in this book. It is not only a book, but a reassuring friend, that hepls all your problems seem not so bad after all ( and it's also a damn good laugh!)It is the best self help book you can invest in!
on 24 May 2000
Love her or hate her, despite what other reviewers have said, every woman can identify with bits of Bridget and her life. From excess amounts of Chardonnay to drunken regretted phone calls to well-meaning friends with useless advice, this book is truly a masterpiece.
It will make you laugh, cry, howl, cringe, but most of all it makes you realise, that deep down, we're only human.
That's what makes this book so good, the portrayal of someone who is human. Someone who has good days and bad days, someone who isn't glamorous and highly polished (even though she wants to be!), someone who is just normal!...
If you haven't already, read 'The Edge or Reason', a sequel, but just as good (especially pashminaism - inspired! ).
on 19 October 1998
This novel offers a glimpse into the life of a thirtyish single woman that is both comic and touching. Bridget's exposure of her own superficiality allows the reader to recognize her own. Unfortuneately, the rigidity of the author's chosen format is sometimes jarring and contrived, but the content is worth the mistakes. Also, it is sometimes difficult for an American reader to figure out the British vernacular (for instance, I have decided that a "fag" is a cigarette, not a derogatory term for a homosexual) used throughout the book (of course, what can you expect from a British novel). Perhaps a later reviewer could tell me how many pounds are in a stone?
All in all an excellent pick for an afternoon of laughs.
on 23 January 1999
Yes, yes, yes. I am quite aware that this is not the most liberated of portrayals of the inner workings of a woman's mind. No doubt strident feminists are at this very minute burning the book and it's author in effigy. But come on girls, which one of us can honestly say you haven't thought along the same lines as Bridget at least once ? I would not consider myself a slave to my need for emotional fulfilment, or see it as tied to my finding a bloke but I can see where Bridget is coming from. None of us wants to end up dead, half-eaten by an Alsatian. This is a tender, funny and inspiring book. It certainly made me laugh. Those who disagree, although entitled to their opinion, are taking life far too seriously.
on 26 May 1999
This diary is one of the best! There is so many of this type of literature (eg. new cow, old cow etc)but this is undoubtedly one of the best. I couldn't put it down. Very funny and as always there is truth in there?