on 9 October 2017
Love this book - essential for any migraine sufferer. Oliver Sacks in general is a goldmine to anyone even remotely interested in how the brain works. This is probably his least accessible book, but very educational for both migraine patients and those around them.
on 16 July 2013
Great work on neurologically damaged patients; a book of profound emotion and thought on human life and human nature with a powerful point about the central energy that we all possess and how our inner system can be so perturbed but also how the people described in the book find the resources to respond and decide what they want to live for or not. As a psychotherapis, I found this book illuminating.
on 15 August 2017
Great insight into migraines. Has helped me understand them better and they don't feel so worrying now I know what they are.
on 21 July 2017
Not the best OS book but still interesting and of course well written. You can tell this was before he found his lovely writing style we all know and love. At first he was far more academic, like fresh from school and scientific.
on 12 October 2015
I bought this when I heard that Dr Sacks had died. It seems fitting, as one of his most lively descriptions of and defences of life even in the darkest and most difficult of circumstances.
on 16 July 2017
My granddaughter likes it.
on 27 July 2017
Brilliant, brilliant book. I can't recommend it enough. Fast delivery and great service.
on 12 April 2000
I have migraines, and I think this book is terrific. It does tend to be too technical, but has a Glossary that includes most unfamiliar terms. The artwork is great, and his whole treatment of the disorder is fascinating. I recommend it highly for all who experience migraines and for their families, although with the caveat that getting through it probably does require some combination of advanced education, patience with flipping to the glossary, keen interest, and openness to learning quite a lot.
11 Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2013
This man knows what he is talking about. Well researched and with references it goes into depth about the condition(s) and the myriad of possible causes. Discussion of therapies is balanced and informed and treats the lay reader with some degree of respect.
Tip: the print is very small, and the quality is not the best with (I think) a poor font choice.
Ironic that it will be read by migraine sufferers - kindle might be better
on 29 May 2017
Medical jargon is there but I'm a nurse so that's ok and it's not too heavy. There are lots of passages quoting ancient writing on migraine and more recent Victorian writings which I find a bit tedious. I'm only p65 so I think that stops soon. The bit I find difficult is the Victorian style the author writes in, I think he may have favoured the ancient scripts a bit too much much and got into character and now can't get out. Not an easy read I'll wager!