Customer reviews

on 28 February 2007
If you would be allowed to read only one book about Africa , this is the one.I have been re-reading it at least twice a year since 1995. It is always on my table.If you want even to begin understanding why Africa is the way it is- you have to read this book. There are no two ways about it. It does not matter much who you are by profession , status ,etc- student , soldier, pensioneer , doctor, aspiring TLA ( three letter agency )worker , tramp or film director - you will find gems for your own heart there. I love Miles- the author , I love Harriet- the photographer , I love everything about this book. Miles , if you read this , go on , get in touch with Bennoit- ask his permission- I am sure he will grant it- and write a book about him.
on 3 June 2002
Right from the first chapter, where the reader dodges bullets and drinks cocktails with arms dealers in floating gin palaces in war-torn Angola, I couldn't put ths book down. The writing was thoughful and full of insight and I greatly admired the authors courage in drawing conclusions at the end.
A refeshing and enjoyable read, sadly neglected. Perhaps if the author was better at football (or married to a pop star), this book would have received the attention it deserved!
on 21 September 2014
A must read book on Africa. This is not just for the railway enthusiast, but for the social historian. So sad that nothing seems to change in the countries involved. So sad.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 November 2016
I read this book about 20 years ago.Superb book.
Surprising that the author did not follow up with similar books.
Strongly recommend it.