Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 January 2004
That obviously means its very exciting, very well written and keeps you on your toes. It follows a structure very similar to tis predecessors and so in that way gives few surprises. However, this book has more twists and turns than something very twisty and turny, which means that a certain amount of concentration is needed when reading it.
The characters are developed better than in his previous books, showing how his talent as a writer has grown as he has written more books and they are generally believable, even if the whole story is a little bit larger-than-life. Even so, it is clear that the author knows the subject (anaestheticts), which makes the book read smoothly and seem more real.
A thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining book, and even if it doesn't do anything to make itself stand out from all the other books the man has written, it is still worth reading, just like most of his others.
on 16 May 2012
I loved this book. It's fast moving with a great plot. One of those books that once you start you can't put down. I recommend this to anyone.
on 11 August 2014
“Harmful Intent” by Robin Cook is a novel I picked up in order to fulfil the Medical Thriller objective on the 2014 Eclectic Reader Challenge. I don’t normally read this type of book beyond some of the contagious disease themed ones which can drift into Science-Fiction realms. Therefore, this was an interesting experience for me which happily was one I enjoyed as the novel I picked turned out to be a light and entertaining read.

The plot revolves around Jeffrey Rhodes, an anaesthesiologist who ends up accused of second degree murder when a patient of his dies during child birth. As the court case goes against him he decides to conduct his own investigation in an attempt to prove his innocence. And so he embarks on a race against time that has him avoiding the police, bounty hunters and various criminals as he tries to avoid jail.

At its heart the book is a fast paced thrill ride that doesn’t let up with an entertaining mix of suspense, action and humour all keeping the reader glued to the story. The book is also full many twists and turns which kept me guessing throughout. To be honest at times it could all feel a little bit larger than life but as long as you could suspend some of your disbelief it was a fun read.

However, it wasn’t all perfect as there were some pacing issues caused by the medical jargon used throughout the book. This meant that it wasn’t always the easiest of books to understand which meant I had to spend time trying to work out what things meant. In the end though, this was probably only a minor quibble and it still felt like a light enough read that wouldn’t go wrong for the times you just want to lie back and enjoy a story.

In regards to the characters, I can’t say that they were anything special or original but they were all developed enough to keep me engaged. One character I did particularly like was Devlin who starts off as a rather unlikable guy but by the end of the book I actually didn’t mind him at all. I always enjoy reading books where the author manages to take the reader’s viewpoint of a character from one point to another.

Overall, this is a fun and quick read which kept me entertained from start to finish. It isn’t going to win any awards but it is enjoyable enough and at no point did I find myself getting bored. In regards to the genre itself, I can’t say I am going to rush out and buy another novel like this but I will be more than willing to check them out when I am at the bookstore.
on 1 February 2013
I paid pennies for this but the print is very blurry, almost as if the book has been marinated. Oh well, you get what you pay for...