on 19 September 2016
Applicable to many areas of life, this text is also timeless. If you're contemplating purchasing this book stop contemplating and do it. There's a reason you're looking at this title - mine was self reflection during a very introspective period. I'm very glad I've read this.
on 22 June 2017
This book improved my tennis no end many years ago.
I bought again to improve my new game of snooker as at 72 it needed some help. The main principles apply across many of these types of sport. To me it is one of the best life purchases I have made. Well worth the money.
on 23 March 2017
very helpful has improved my tennis no end.
on 5 May 2017
Really enjoyed the book though I think I may have to read again to digest fully, I have tried a few of the techniques and they do work
on 15 July 2017
Have only just started reading this, but I think it could be quite beneficial to my tennis game. Self 1 needs to give Self 2 a break!
on 15 May 2008
This is beautiful. Every chapter just makes perfect sense. Gallwey has taught me many things through this masterpiece - how far in you can get away standing to receive even fast serves, that I was a "good-o" type player and why this mentality won't get you anywhere or at least any happiness, how you shouldn't *try* to win but instead make the *effort* to win, how breathing can transform your game, how awareness is the key to playing to your potential and thoughts are your obstacles, and so much more.

The only thing I lament is that I don't remember what he says in this book everytime I step on court and instead sometimes end up reverting to my erroneous thinking! But I think I'm getting better. I'm determined to win the inner game! What one really needs is to find a way of drilling his advice into their subconscious! I can only recommend continually rereading it!

You should also bear in mind that this book is a lesson on life as well as tennis, and can make you life more peaceful. I think Gallwey says somewhere in here something along the lines of "you can practise concentration to improve your tennis, or you can practise tennis to improve your concentration..." If you buy one book to improve your tennis get this one, no matter what level you're at. It will increase your enjoyment of the game.
on 6 August 2010
This is an interesting book, which was originally recommended to me by a martial arts instructor; even though the book is about the inner game of tennis, it does have a wider application; as other books in the series indicate: The Inner Game of Golf; The Inner Game of Music. You could read The Inner Game of Tennis and call it the Inner Game of...Karate, Judo, etc.

The book describes concepts of Self 1 and Self 2, which is like the conscious and unconscious minds. In a nut shell, self one is like a captain of a ship that states the desired destination and self 2 is the crew. Once the captain gives the order (self 1) He or she gets out of the way and lets the crew carry out their tasks; therefore, if you want to develop a skill, the conscious mind states the intention/desired goal, while allowing your other than conscious mind to carry out the task of skill development. The Inner Game of Tennis is about how to go about getting out of your own way or how to stop self consciousness inhibiting your progress.

I found the book interesting and it has helped me with my own sport; however, my wife, who is a tennis player found the book repetitive. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.
on 26 March 2017
I thought this book was brilliant. I'm someone who is always looking for a way to improve and I came across this book in a sports article.

Ironically, I came expecting 'results' but what I got is something much more profound an interesting. If you are a serious athlete, or you take sports very seriously and put yourself under a lot of pressure I would really highly recommend this book. It has helped me to completely rethink how I approach sport and wanting to win.

Tennis is just the 'form' of this book but you can apply to other sports and areas.
on 17 June 2010
As most people can guess by the title, the "inner game" of tennis is the game that takes place iin the mind of the player and is played against barriers such as nervousness, self-doubt, etc.

To gain clarity on the mental problems in tennis, the book looks at the concepts of "Self 1" and "Self 2". Self 1 is the name that is given to the conscious ego-mind which likes the tell Self 2, you and your potential, how to hit the ball and play the game. Or, to put it another way, Self 1 is the "teller" and Self 2 the "doer". I found this to be an interesting idea, as we have all caught ourselves talking to ourselves or have seen others talking to themselves during a game. If you ask someone who they are talking to, they will usually say "I'm talking to myself." This, of course, implies that there are 2 "selves", "I" and "myself"- and so is born the idea of Self 1 and Self 2. Pretty astutue observation in my opinion.

Now according to the book, to achieve peak performance, the key is to resolve any lack of harmony between the two selves, as it is the contrary thinking of Self 1 which causes interference with the natural abilities of Self 2. This requires the learning of several inner skills, such as the art of letting go of self-judgements, letting Self 2 do the hitting, recognizing and trusting the natural learning process, and so on- which is what much of the books spends discussing.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who plays tennis (or any other sport for that matter) as it does a great job in dealing with the fact that many of our difficulties in tennis are indeed mental in origin. Other helpful books for tennis players I've come across include Treat Your Own Tennis Elbow and Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff.
on 1 May 2015
Classic book not only for musicians but for anyone who wants to excel in his life!