on 18 April 2017
Really enjoyed this book. Did not want to put it down. It usually takes me ages to read a book but I managed this one in just 4days! Very relatable and humorous.
on 27 February 2017
Excellent
on 18 July 2016
This is a book from my childhood days 20 odd years ago!! This was problerly my fav book so I had to buy it again and god I was glad I did!! It is well presented, red round the edges, a beautiful touch!! I'm loving re reading it, will recommend u buy it!!
on 13 January 2017
This book really bored me. I really felt like Michael was just a typical teenage boy that are the boys today all about sex and get annoyed when they don't get any. I expected him to be nicer and I didn't like Judy's writing style.
on 6 January 2017
I should have read the reviews properly before buying this book. I'm 24 and was after something more grown up. I can see how scandalous and exciting this would be for 13-16 year olds, Unfortunately not for me. Very short, with large text and the story is too relatable to be exciting.
on 1 August 2015
Brilliant, gutted I'd finished reading it
I'm of the generation who missed this: too young for when it was first published in the 1970s, and yet I've heard so much about it that I'm delighted to have finally experienced this seminal book. I can only imagine the impact it would have on 14-17 year olds as it details Kath's first love, first sexual experiences and first understanding of adulthood.

It's written in a lovely clear-eyed way and I especially liked that there's no insta-love, and the sex is often less than awesome for all kinds of realistic reasons. My only disappointment is that there's no real chemistry between Kath and Michael - but that's a small niggle.

A one-sitting read for me - recommended.
on 7 February 2017
I never got around to reading this in my teens, and as it's always held up as one of the most honest accounts of teenage relationships - and being unusually sexually explicit - I thought it was time to give it a go. Fifteen by Beverley Cleary it certainly isn't!

An interesting read though. Written in the 70s, it has that 70s feel to it, and it's almost like it was written as basis for a film screenplay - each chapter is like a new scene. It's a fairly simple story of a teenage couple's first serious relationship, how they progress to the more physical aspects to enjoy a sexual relationship. The scenes aren't particularly graphic, but do deal with readiness to have sex, emotional and physical, and the use of contraception.

I found the secondary story, about the relationship between Erica and Artie an utterly heartbreaking one - I felt more for them than Katherine and Michael, who I found quite difficult to actually have any feelings for, as there wasn't really anything to pad them out, characterwise. Katherine certainly only comes to life as a character, for me, when she goes to camp.

Altogether, not a bad read, a bit dated - it reminded me of Fame - and I probably would have enjoyed it more when I was about 14/15.
on 30 December 2016
Loved this back in the day and loved this now!
on 4 February 2012
I first read this in 1980 when my school had a 'private' stash of books for the 4th and 5th year (year 10-11) girls. Very appropriate for that age group - back then anyway. As previous reviews have mentioned, it covers lots of topics that young adults don't want to discuss with their parents (or teachers).