Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 September 2013
I first read this book when I was about 25, I'm now 48. This is a book I have bought so many times, because each time I read it I enjoy it so much I have to pass it on to someone else and spread the joy!

Insightful, intelligent, warm and genuinely funny. I even gave a copy to my dad, who only ever reads books about Pythagoras and Cricket - I will cherish the image of him snorting and choking laughing, with coffee pouring out of each nostril!

Thank you Clive, for showing me that my Dad does indeed have a sense of humour, though not a razor sharp as yours perhaps. You are a diamond!
on 11 April 2017
I have always enjoyed watching Clive James from his early days on TV so was pleased to find this book.Most enjoyable --funny , poignant , quite sad in parts, but don't know how much of this autobiography is "unreliable"! Very entertaining & I shall read some more of his books.
on 23 September 2016
I bought this as a replacement for a much used earlier version. One of the great audio books in my opinion. It arrived promptly.
on 14 June 2017
Not as humourious as I thought it might be, but maybe the next book in the series will be better. A good read thou.
on 2 April 2017
Not as good as I was led to believe it would be and not nearly as amusing as expected. Disappointing.
on 10 April 2017
something new and refreshingly enjoyable for me
on 24 September 2009
This is one of the few books where I have genuinely laughed out loud, the part where the soldier puts the bomb into gun backwards had me in hysterics, unfortunately I was on a crowded train at the time

Fabulous book and very well written. How I wish I could write like that
on 14 April 2014
if you like Clive James' style, you'll love this. tales of his childhood in suburban Australia, with enough accidents and mischief to be familiar to all of us-my favourite story is the box cart train and its terrible ending. obviously the truth is embellished for publication, but every second page made me giggle, and there's a belly laugh in every chapter. It's perfect for commuting or travelling - you can dip in and out, because the narrative is only loosely chronological.
I'd recommend it to someone who needs to laugh.
VINE VOICEon 13 September 2004
"Unrelaible Memoirs" is Clive James' description of his upbringing in a Sydney suburb lasting up to the time of his university education. I was expecting it to be funny but wasn't quite prepared for the raw emotion and literary skill displayed on virtually every page.
To me this is perhaps the most impressive of James' autobiographical writing. He has a special gift for describing childhood and a kind of fearless honesty which is hilarious and provides something of a turbulent rollercoaster ride for the reader, as he describes the trauma of being a single child to a single parent in the aftermath of the second world war.
I felt a little left behind by many of the historical and literary references James makes but this is more than made up for by the relish with which he uses the English language. For example, he describes a friend's mother giving him buttered bread covered with hundreds and thousands as like "eating a powdered rainbow".
"Unreliable Memoirs" made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. I wish I had read it years ago.
on 5 November 2016