Showing 1-10 of 174 reviews(4 star). See all 1,533 reviews
on 15 April 2015
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish: 4/5 (Hitchhikers Guide 4) by Douglas Adams

Rating: 4 out of 5

This is Book 4 of the Hitchhiker series but its very different to the first three. It features Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect and Marvin (briefly), I missed Trillian and Zaphod and obviously a whole lot more of Marvin. As always, it is a cleverly written book with typical Douglas Adams humour.

I was disappointed by the overt focus on romance in this copy (reminded me of cheapish 70s sci-fi movies with better dialogues). I would have preferred more space action to boring earthly love scenes.
on 28 January 2013
I was one of those people who purely by accident tuned into the first episode of the radio version back in the late 70's. I bought the first three books but did not pick up on the later two parts of the five part trilogy. Until reading the first three I had been a fan of sci fi but found after reading Douglas Adams take on it I could no longer take it seriously ever again. I decided to reacquaint myself with the original three and the later ones when I saw there was a Kindle version available. I was not disappointed. It only gets 4 stars because I thought book 4 was a bit disjointed and seemed only to provide a link between books 3 and 5; maybe that was the intention. Book 5 is very clever and has a surprising end. I highly recommend this set at a ridiculously cheap price.
on 12 June 2013
This book although obviously dated still comes across as a unique piece of work. Douglas Adams takes us on a fanciful journey through his make believe universe. His humour is very clever and he comes up with the most outlandish characters and creatures. The book is much deeper than just his eccentric sense of humour. It touches on philosophy and makes the reader ask questions such as what really is the meaning of life? Some science fiction fans have criticised the book for being too far-fetched. Really? To me all science fiction is too far-fetched. This book should not be judged on its science fiction element but on its thought provoking and humorous content.
on 22 April 2012
Why oh why have I not read this already?????

Super book makes me laugh and think and become involved, I so want to be there!

I have heard of this book so many times and an old friend was a huge fan but I have only just decided to read this book. I should have read it years ago so that I could be reading it again, I have a feeling this is a book I will read over and over.

Buy it if you enjoy a laugh, buy it if you like books that make you think about things and buy it if you want a good read.

It is FAB buy it
on 28 September 2013
It has lots of things from the meaning of Liff. However, the eleven chapters are really good. This is a very poignant book as it would appear that this may well have been Douglas' best Dirk Gently. Sadly he died before completion. What we are left with are snatches of brilliance and as usual very funny commentary on human foibles.
on 2 August 2012
What is the meaning of life? Put the question into a super-computer and millions of years later it will come up with the solution that will be surpassed by the next super-computer. Douglas Adams is our super-computer and we may need to wait millions of years before this book is surpassed.

Watch out Earth for planning permission for a super highway through our tiny part of the galaxy. We really aren't that important when you come to think of it. Not when you expand your mind with this book
on 29 September 2015
Picked this up as I wanted some light entertainment and that is exactly what I got.

The story was easy to read, with light, absurd humour that floated me through the story until the end. Suddenly I'd finished the book, without any effort required.

In sum, it was perfect light entertainment.
on 16 January 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, but I would strongly recommend not reading it at a time when you are likely to be spending a lot of time on your own, as it is a totally loony book and is likely to give you a very strange outlook on things if you are not firmly grounded with people. I read it while on my own, though, and it was wonderful - but then I'm already a bit crazy!
on 5 October 2013
This book... This book is one of THEE Greatest works of fiction ever written!
I was expecting something that was like the not so great movie Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy but NO!
This Blew my mind and gave me great enjoyment.
Will laugh a page humour which will keep you reading as you throw your self in to the life and universe of Arthur Dent and crew.
on 13 November 2015
This series needs little introduction to those of a certain vintage. Loved the first two books but the subsequent books whilst still good lose something feeling almost like these were rushed or recycled ideas.