Mastering the Model Shoot is a front-to-back guide on how to set up a shoot, work with the model, light, pose and execute the images, post-process them and sell them. It's written for people who are photographic professionals, who aspire to be, or who are very, very serious amateurs.

As such there is much more about marketing, building up a portfolio, work flow, colour calibration and solving problems than in other books on the same subject. Commensurately, there is no information about how to buy your first camera, how to focus it and what to do when it stops working: it isn't that kind of book.

If you quite fancy shooting some nice pictures of models and getting to know your camera equipment better, then I recommend Photographing Models: 1,000 Poses. If you want to earn money from photography, be taken seriously in the profession and land some big gigs, then I recommend this one.
on 20 August 2017
This book is exactly what I was looking for; so let me start by explaining where I was coming from. I was already confident about using my camera and all the advanced settings it has but I was mostly into landscape and nature photography. I always wanted to try portrait photography but had absolutely zero experience. I had been looking for a good book on the subject but struggled to find anything worthwhile (I tried a book by Michael Freeman, who I used to admire, but his book on portrait photography was completely useless).

Franks book assumes you already know how to use a camera so doesn't waste anytime telling you what you probably already know. He starts at the beginning with how to find a model, working with the model and posing them, building a team up with make-up artists and stylists. He then goes on to lighting and editing and covers things such as calibrating your monitor and using a colour checker. He goes on to give you tips on how to build up and publish your portfolio and built it into a business. To be honest, you can "look inside" the book on amazon and see the contents list so you can see for yourself what Frank includes.

Frank has a pretty fun and unique style which stands out from the usual high fashion style modelling you see in a lot of books. For me, the key part of the book is that Frank tries to teach and encourage you to develop your own style of portrait photography rather than try to teach you to just copy/emulate his, someone else's, style.

Would definitely recommend for anyone interested in portrait photography.
on 1 June 2017
This digital copy of Frank Doorhof's book is just what I needed. Having borrowed the solid version from the library I needed a more portable media. This was it!
Now Frank takes you on a journey from "ok to wow" showing you all the ups and downs of Photography with modes helping you progress from amateurs to a much higher level. He shows you some of the pitfalls and how to avoid them, also how to work with the budget you have.
on 13 November 2013
If you buy one book on photography this year buy Frank's

This is so NOT the usual collection of pictures, lighting diagrams and kit lists which is the norm for this type of book.
Crammed full of great tips and insight in a clear, open and well written format. There is a wide range of subjects covered from different light sources, locations, studio, model casting and best practices.
on 4 May 2017
For any pro photographer this is a fantastic book explained in detail and easy to understand manner. I'd love to meet Frank just to thank him for this great book.
on 20 July 2017
Returned
on 11 August 2017
All a bit dated instil, but still some very useful and relevant tips and techniques.
on 25 June 2017
Lots of valuabke information well presented and clearly explaned
on 13 June 2014
I've read a number of books about model shoots, styling a shoot and lighting one. This is without a doubt the best one I've come across. The biggest reason why isn't just the fact that Frank has taken to time to set down a lot of his creative process and that of the team he works with. It's the fact he is very honest about the troubles you may encounter, and the curve balls that any shoot has with them, he also outlines ways of taking such unknowns and making use of them. The book is very in depth, but using a plain speaking way of describing things, it also leaves out a lot of the pretentious BS that some photographers add in their books. There is nothing of the "here is a shot only I could take." kind of attitude you will find in other books. There are sections on everything and to the point tips that will impact on the way you shoot the next time you have a set, lights and model to shoot stood in front of you.
I bought this and I got it for my kindle too so I can have it as a reference when I'm traveling

If you're keen on upping your game with your photography, buy this book, read it and use the knowledge you gain from it. I have and it worked for me..
on 29 December 2013
I own quite a few photography related books and buy regular magazines always looking for something a bit different. This book is something different it contains such a wealth and depth of detail it is a must for the serious amateur and budding professional. The images in the book I think are worth the price alone. There is so much good content from ideas, lighting advice, general advice on the full process. And again there is so much inspiration from the images.