on 20 April 2014
OK, so the cover is flimsy, get over it. Cover it with that self adhesive clear film made for the job because you will be using this book a lot - that makes the feel of the cover ideal.
This is such an easy book to understand. I have finished it and wish there was more; I learned so much. John Batdorff teaches you about your D7100 but he also teaches you about photography - he doesn't tell you, he teaches you. Every time you put the book down, you know more than you did before you picked it up. Unlike some teaching manuals, you will not be picking your camera up every paragraph to find out what the author is on about. You will finish one chapter or topic and just go out and shoot because you know what to do.
Top marks for a top book.
on 13 April 2015
I bought the hardcopy of this book first and found it so useful that I downloaded the Kindle version to my Thinkpad for travelling. The author is very clear in all respects making the work easy to follow. The book has reference to the camera manual which help to clarify Nikon's instructions. I have also downloaded the manual from Nikon's site. I highly recommend this book for the D7100 owner.
on 9 May 2015
This book is no different [except for a few words here and there] than the book with the same title for the D3100. So if you're looking for in depth details or particular help with the D7100 then this book is not for you.
I bought this in the hope i would find more information and detail about my D7100 but it fell short by a long way. I would say to anyone who has upgraded from the D3100 to the D7100 and has the D3100 book then you don't need to buy this book. You can apply almost everything from the Jeff Revell book to your camera.
I was left feeling very frustrated with this book and somewhat annoyed with myself for buying it. I eventually found everything i needed on Youtube.
To sum up, if you have upgraded to the D7100 you do not need this book. Let's face it, you already have experience and knowledge of a dslr so why buy this book to read something you already know.
on 15 February 2015
Yes, the cover is flimsy but not quite as appalling as a couple of other reviewers have gone on about. It's just not stiff. A dose of 'sticky-back plastic' should cure that if you're bothered.
The content takes you from the first steps of physically using the camera, explaining clearly as you go, through all of the useful modes.
If you really want to actively learn, there are straightforward practise exercises at the end of each topic's chapter, which I am finding useful to reinforce the knowledge that I've just gained. Sometimes, hands-on is the best way to learn. My confidence is increasing, thanks to the structured way that JB covers each item and as I become more familiar with exactly what I'm doing with the camera. This is especially true about using the various focussing modes, about which I have to admit I only had a hazy understanding before.
The writing is plain English and matter-of-fact with a minimum of esoteric jargon. Where acronyms and so-on are used they are explained.
The fundamentals of composition are covered and the writer is not hesitant to encourage you to experiment with new takes on old subjects.
All in all, I have no regrets about buying this book and it will remain a reference for a long time to come.
on 23 April 2014
So glad I got this book. It's very well written and proceeds logically.
As with most standard manuals that come with the equipment, the Nikon D7100 tells you what a feature does, but not why or when.
John's book has brought my understanding of the Nikon on immensely and it's great value too!
Highly recommended.
on 27 October 2013
I am enjoying the conversationalist manner with which the author describes a technique or principle and ties it to how to do it with the Nikon d7100. Its great. Most books are either one or the other and either: talk you through techniques (photography books) or describe the camera's functions (manual). They remain as if distant cousins and can make life hard.
Not with this book. The author has a great approach, speaking with the reader about a particular subject and showing them how to use the camera in that setting. He does it with plenty of examples, includes the settings he used and also adds assignment suggestions. Might not cover absolutely every thing under the photography sun, but its a great start for my journey. Brilliant.
on 7 September 2014
I have purchased another book from this series before from another source the Nikon D3100 by Jeff Revell and found that very informative, so it decided to try this one out.
The book is just what you need if you require a solution to a particular problem. By the time most people purchase the Nikon D7100 they should have a reasonable working knowledge of their way around a DSLR, as this is possibly their 2nd or 3rd camera making this book ideal to flip to a subject you require then put it away till you need it, or you can read it through from page 1 and it will guide you all the way. It is a very easy to follow and understand and the tip's help you.
Would i recommend this book 10/10 YES it is a good well thought out book
on 16 February 2014
I like this book as it is simple to use with a professional camera...I love the photo of the, "Bean" in Chicago...with a 240 sec exposure.
Wow...and the annotations are wonderful...as a teacher myself - annotations rule when imparting cognitive realities.
on 9 January 2014
As i recently upgraded to the Nikon D7100, the manual that comes with it is good but this book really helps you to get out there and shoot all kinds of images. Very helpful book, enjoyable to read and worth every penny.
on 27 February 2015
Excellent book to accompany the camera. Clear concise and easy to use and read. If you are lucky enough to have the Nikon D7100 anx are new to photography id recommrnd this book.