on 26 January 2012
this book is a useful and effective tool for doing the tasks described to the images provided on the disc (for the most part - there were some instances where no matter how carefully i followed the instructions i did not see the results i needed).

where the book falls down is that while it tells you what to do, it rarely tells you why you are doing it - so you can't perform the tasks on any other images. this limits its usefulness, as i imagine that most people that purchase it hope to use it on images other than the ones on the accompanying disc. when you try to apply the "skills" you have learned to other images, you may well find it a profoundly frustrating and futile experience.
it also has a tendency to explain things in a way that don't make much sense to the inexperienced used - for example, when it explains the difference between channels, channel masks, layer mask, vector masks and clipping masks. after having read the paragraph a good thirty times, i was if anything less clear on the distinction.

this may well be the best book available on the topic but it falls short of what you would hope from the makers of the program.
11 Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 February 2016
Bought this book because I have a similar one for Photoshop Elements and despite having another book for Lightroom 5 this style of book is better for me. Even though I have been using Lightroom for many years there is a lot that is under utilised. This book gives you lessons to work through which can be applied to your photographs in the future. Some aspects of the lessons might not work exactly as the book describes but generally
this does not affect the end result. It is handy to have a book to refer to while attempting some projects rather than having to switch to the internet.
The book does give you internet links also. Would recommend this book.
on 9 October 2015
These books are good, both to get you started or to help you learn about all the hidden features that you'll never find by looking at the screen and exploring on your own. Tutorial style, start at the beginning and work through the exercises in each chapter. By the end you will have a very good grounding, you won't be an expert but you'll no longer be a beginner and you will have had an insight into just how powerful the app is and perhaps be inspired to dig even deeper.
on 4 May 2012
This book and the accompanying DVD provide an excellent course on the basics of CS5.
It is very well structured and throughout the course of fourteen lessons, it takes one through most of the many facets of using this vast programme.
I think that you have to be very disciplined, and follow the course which is laid out in a very logical manner, although to me the timings suggested for each lesson are a bit optimistic. I found that it was taking me a lot longer to complete each section.
As someone who had never used CS5 before I found it an excellent product that certainly helped me to get a grip of the program.
Maybe anyone with experience of Photoshop would not find it so useful.
on 11 January 2014
Adobe Photoshop CS5 Classroom in a book KINDLE.
Hi this is a great book, a steep learning curve for the begginer, well written, and pretty easy to understand.
I have sadly returned for a refund, the book is a workbook for the companion DVD, which requires the included lesson templates from the companion DVD, this doesn't come with the Kindle version, and I couldn't find any links to go and download the required resources, so the Kindle version is pretty useless to me.
I have returned the Kindle version for a refund, and ordered the paperback version that comes with the required resource DVD, and can't wait for it to be delivered.
So in summary Kindle Adobe CS5 Classroom in a book is OK to review on the train- apart from that it's useless, you'll need the paperback with the DVD containing the resources and lesson templates. The paperback and DVD will be an excellent read, and very useful, giving a good foundation of skills for CS5, based on a thumbthrough of the Kindle version.
on 12 April 2015
I have to say I'm struggling with this book with a little. I don't think it is very clearly explained in some places. Some of the functions that the book instructs you to follow don't work in practice and some of the diagrams don't match what I am seeing on my screen. I might look for an alternative.
on 3 December 2011
I have experienced other photo-editing software packages and decided I wished to get Photoshop CS5. When I first used CS5 I found it daunting to find my way around all of the menus and control panels. This book seemed to be well reviewed so took the plunge and bought it. The layout contents are extremely clear, consistent and easy to read throughout the book. The book takes the format of 14 lesson chapters each of which takes about an hour to work through. I also found that the instructional lessons supplied on DVD of good assistance. An excellent book for beginner and intermediate user.
on 15 November 2012
I have had this book for about a week now and I am ploughing through the exercises as best I can. As complete novice on Photoshop CS5 I have to say that some of it is hard work and I am having to attempt some of the exercises more than once.
Overall I think that I shall learn a lot from the book but if you are thinking of buying it be prepared to put the work in and allow yourself lots of time.
on 19 November 2013
Excellent book very easy to follow the lessons. Only downside was the price which is the reason for losing 1 star
on 16 July 2014
I'm working my way through this and, so far, the lessons have been clear and concise. Recommended.