on 26 February 2014
I bought this because I have always struggled with both the theory and practice of printing. Schewe is one of the gurus, so I thought this and the sister volume on processing would be helpful. They are - up to a point. The text is so-so, but the illustrations are so small and badly reproduced as to be useless. They are absolutely essential to understanding. I tried using a torch, then a magnifying glass to see the points being made about the images, then I gave up. In a way it is quite amusing that a text on images is totally deficient in this respect, but at £30 for the two I'm not laughing too heartily.
7 people found this helpful
on 4 April 2017
Not for beginners. you really need to have built up a knowledge base with Photoshop & Lightroom before tackling this book. I would also add that you need to be into printing your own prints on top of the range Epson/Canon printers.
3 people found this helpful
on 18 November 2017
Heavy going, & too much into the theory for me.
I was having trouble with orange colour castes on LightRoom prints.
I found this difficult to read, & not much help to reference.
It is perfectly possible that a student of photography, or someone very interested in the science of printing may find this very informative.
on 4 October 2013
Jeff Schewe is incredibly knowledgable about processing images, and not only provides guides/tips for maximising image quality, but also technical info on the way LR/Photoshop/Printers work so you understand why things turn out the way they do. Highly recommended to anyone who is interested in printing their own images, or send images to be printed.
6 people found this helpful
on 9 July 2016
Very detailed information - but if you are serious about printing your photographs Jeff Schewe is the expert. The changes I've made to my printing workflow are subtle but I can see the difference.
One person found this helpful
on 22 February 2018
Very good book as it goes very deep into the subject
on 26 June 2016
The book presents a good and practical technical background to creating a print from a digital photographic file. I has helped me to have a far more comprehensive understanding of the subject.
on 7 March 2015
A superb thought provoking book. Once read you will take more care when preparing your digital negative and printing same.
Cannot be recommended enough.
on 25 October 2013
Bang up to date, very good tips and tricks, a bot too techy in places. A great read all the same
2 people found this helpful
on 16 August 2014
This is a great book if you are looking to go in depth into printing your own images. The knowledge of the author is very good and the explanations in the book can be understood by the layman.