Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 11 April 2013
A great publication. As a new owner of the Sony NEX-6, I found this a well written and structured approach as it guides the reader through a journey learning the features of the NEX-6 and at the same time developing skills in various techniques. It covers the basics of photography for a beginner as well as revealing ways to use this excellent camera that the handbook fails to convey. My learning curve with the NEX-6 would have benefited from being able to acquire 'From Snapshots to Great Shots' at the same time as I purchased the camera! In essence the title says it all, Jerod guides you along away from the comfort zone of the point and shoot into the realms of greater creativity and control of your camera.
on 1 April 2013
I am an enthusiastic beginner and purchased this book because I felt without some help and encouragement I was unlikely to get anything like the best out of the camera. The NEX-6 is far more than an up market 'point and shoot' and this book will help to move the keen user beyond the intelligent auto modes, if that's what they want.

As it is part of a series of similar books for different cameras, I feared it might be very generic and not specifically aimed at the NEX-6 owner. This book is very well written by someone who has obviously used the camera and who, without being patronising, guides the new user through the basics and more advanced features of what is, to me, quite a complex camera. The author is happy to point out that this book is better used in conjunction with Sony's comprehensive user guide, thus avoiding the need for lengthy descriptions of the most basic operations.

I have learned a tremendous amount about not only the functions available on the camera but also specific methods of using it to improve my photography. If your are an expert well versed in digital photography this book may be of limited value. If however you are like me and still have a lot to learn I would definitely recommend it.
on 7 May 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: The Complete Guide to Sony's NEX 5R and 6 Cameras - 3 Sample Chapters (Kindle Edition)
Oh Lordy, this is not what I really wanted. The author tells us at the start that he is not going to go over the stuff that the manual already does and he then begins his basics photography course. About 80% of this book could have been about any DSLR type camera. He goes through all the usual PASM and automatic modes which apply to all decent cameras. I don't like the manuals that manufacturers supply because the are small, on thin paper which gets easily dog eared and they are usually very basic. I wanted a book to go over what the small Sony manual already states but I want the book to expand on the various features and how best to exploit them. I didn't buy this to find out what shutter speed and aperture are. I know all this or I wouldn't have spent so much money on the Nex 6. This camera is not aimed at people just moving up from point and shoots. Sony already make the Nex 3x cameras for this. I thought I would get a book which also explored my flash options but no, the author only recommends one of Sony's most expensive flashes. I wanted to use off camera flash but had to find out on my own.
It took me hours of pouring through forums to get what I wanted. Where am I coming from?
My first DSLR was a Nikon D80, I bought extra lenses for it. I have also had the D90 and the Nikon D5100 (still use it) which are all great cameras. I wanted a camera for street photography and after trying and selling the Sony RX100, I settled on the Nex 6. It's a great camera but not without it's niggles. Off camera flash on the NEX 6? I have finally found that the Yonguo CTR-301P triggers work with my Nikon speedlight and my Nissin Di622 MK ii. The triggers cost about £20 and it seems they'll work with any flash except the older Sony and Minolta hotshoes.
Sorry, I'm getting off-target here. That's kind of what I wanted this book to tell me. The author also devotes useful pages to the LCD display and how to set it up but he omits to say that the brightness of the LCD can also be controlled in the menu settings. There is even a sunny weather setting which I didn't know about. It works very well when you've to hold the camera above your head in bright sunlight. In short, this book is about photography, it is not specifically about the Nex 6.
I'm giving this 3 stars when perhaps it should get 2!
on 23 September 2013
I love this book, well laid out, not pretentious. I will use this book as a reference for years. Best read on the kindle app on my iPad but quite acceptable on my kindle paperwhite.
on 7 May 2014
Overall a very good book that gives you all the key facts required to get started. I think is good for all levels of people wanting to know about the camera and taking good shots
on 29 May 2014
The guide is very clear and concise, it helps you understand what is a complex and very capable camera with lots of features you might miss if you don't get a book like this.
on 25 July 2014
fascinating book even for a semi-pro photographer like myself vecause there is always something new to learn about digital possibilities. I grew up on 35mm photography!
on 28 January 2014
Well written beginners guide to your new Sony Nex 6. Recommended even if you're an experienced photographer as it goes into the many functions of the camera.
on 22 July 2014
Written in a very useable way, a handbook, guide and photographic course in one. Very pleased to have found this and have already gained useful tips.
on 15 September 2014
started reading it and I love it. easy to understand and gives a great details about how to take snaps. Highly recommend!