Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 September 2012
I have had access to InDesign since I started using Adobe products many years ago but never had the time to understand it.

At a basic level it is a 'simple' DTP package and that is how I dabbled with it over the years.

My partner bought a (physical) Kindle which I was impressed with but I already have an iPad so didn't want yet another device so I downloaded Kindle for the iPad (Which is excellent).
I 'needed' a book to try it with so thought i would try this one.

This has to be one of the best books I have bought. Follow the lessons through (each took 30-40 mins) and you will at least know what InDesign is capable of if not remembering how to do it.
I find this the first battle with any new software, working out what it can do. Now I understand what ID can do I can go back and concentrate on bits I need to know.

If you need to understand InDesign get this book.

I run InDesign on a Mac but the lessons cover both PC and mac versions.
on 29 September 2012
I really rate the Adobe Classroom in a Book series. Why? Because they can either be read as a primer to using the application in question, as a tutorial with the application open, or as a useful help manual/reminder once you have got started.

Okay so not every bit of detail is included, but a good balance has been struck to get you started with all the key features and grasp an overall understanding of the Adobe workspace and terminology. Once you have that, you can go looking in the Adobe help to answer specific questions.

If you are going to invest in a product from the Adobe Creative Suite, invest in the corresponding 'classroom in a book' at the same time.
on 14 November 2012
InDesign is a magnificent piece of software. It is also quite confusing if you are new to Desktop Publishing. For this reason, you'll need help. This well-written book lifts the veil of confusion... partially. I have worked through most of the lessons now, and have to say I am a little more familiar with the software. I do have a couple of issues with the book: 1) this kind of book needs to pay attention to detail - one missing piece of information can send the reader off at an unhelpful tangent; 2) knowledge is no good if you cannot remember it. As I've worked through the lessons I have become increasing irritated at the errors. One vital missing piece of information led to a 15 minute search of Adobe Help to find the solution - one line in the text could have precluded this diversion. This is inappropriate for a book of this nature. Whilst I have successfully completed the lessons, I believe I'd have to redo the lessons to have any chance whatsoever of being able to transfer the skills to my own projects - the content is just not 'sticky' - not memorable. Educational publishers need to pay attention to stickiness. Since I haven't invested in any competitor to this book, I've nothing to compare it with, but I will finish my lessons frustrated knowing that there is much more work to be done before InDesign becomes a familiar tool for my workflow.
on 1 November 2013
So far I have found this series really user friendly! In each lesson you are required to use the knowledge you have gained from the previous lessons, so you are putting the skills you develop in to practise as you progress through each book. Anyone creatively inclined should also appreciate the effort that has gone in to matching the branding with the software.
on 16 January 2015
Excellent book, love the way the chapters are in timed chunks. A few minor bugs in the tutorials, but these are easily spotted, a bonus as far as I am concerned, they make you think and we all learn from mistakes.
on 10 September 2012
Takes you through everything you need to know about Adobe InDesign. Well presented and easy to understand. Minor issues with incorrect labelling but nothing that causes confusion.
on 19 September 2013
Brilliant. I needed to learn Indesign in a hurry and this book leads you by the hand to do just that.
on 21 January 2013
This is a fantastic book that covers the basics right through to some more advanced techniques ... in the absence of being able to go on a course, this has got me started on this great programme.
on 14 September 2012
This book is excellent value and has all you need to learn Adobe InDesign, but it also fits in well with an app that's available, Learn Adobe CS, too.
on 4 May 2014
This book is a perfect and super clear guide for those who've never approached Adobe before, and also for people who alredy use it and want to discover more! Highly recommended.