on 26 February 2011
This is a well laid out and comprehensive guide to premiere pro cs5. Good use of illustrations and maximises the Kindle apps ability to flick between topics. Recommended.
on 18 January 2011
I just bought the Kindle version of this. The blurb is exactly the same as for the printed one (e.g. with references to DVD content for lessons). I loved the idea of having a big heavy book like this on my kindle and although I knew that I wouldn't be getting a DVD in the post when I bought the eBook, I assumed that there would be some web link to download the content.

There is - but it is very difficult to find. Amazon support was little help (they say contact the publisher). I emailed PeachPit (the publisher) and they explained to search for lesson files within the book and you will find a link.

The book itself is fine and a nice straightforward run through of PP. But they really need to get a bit slicker on how they provide access to the lesson files.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 September 2010
Being a newbie to premier, I was delighted to find that there was going to be a user manual and it would be published by Adobe themselves. The book does not disappoint. Very clear instructions and step by step guides take you through all the important tools and even gives loads of tips on creating great video footage. I have used NLE suites before, (ULEAD) so I did have a slight head start, but this book filled in those little gaps. Highly recommended. The only drawback is that the glossary could have been a bit more detailed. They seemed to have left a few key pointers out. Al in all...a very useful book.
on 30 September 2010
A great book with lots of advice , examples and a DVD to practice on. A very good buy. Recommended
on 26 July 2012
This is a a long awaited book and I have found it excellent and easy to use. Think they have looked at the way Idiot's Guides work, it is quite similar, though not as jokey and quite pro, but the thought processes are there, like quick look up about an aspect.
Takes you through more than the basics and quite a lot of the more complicated aspects of the software. Well written, designed and laid out. Has a dvd with video lessons as yet un tried. Its a good read in its own right. Highly recommended.

I have moved from Prem Elements to Pro and got fed up looking on line for info and a not always helpful online manual..makes big assumptions on knowing the terminology and what it does e.g. assets , sequences ,bins et al. (Very helpful on line user group indeed, but you cannot keep asking questions there, it is a pro user group after all.) This book will get you going well and answer a lot of whys and all of the terminology!

Warning. PLEASE NOTE... Dolby 5.1.
It tells you how to do Dolby 5.1 sound but VERY misleadingly, there is no licence with Prem Pro Software for Dolby 5.1 and after a 4 off guest trial, you have to pay about £250 to get a working burning codec.(Dolby stereo is standard with the software package). This could matter to you if you wish to offer 5.1 sound in a sales enviroment, especially as many crossover semi /pro cameras record 5.1 with HD video.

Sony Vegas has Dolby 5.1 licensed on board with their software package (which is cheaper, but I would suggest less comprehensive in some areas). Adobe works with others of its family of packages you may use like Photoshop and Audition, (sound editing /multi tracking), directly importing and exporting into the edit; so, if you are thinking about which system to go with and 5.1 matters look at the costs and what you need to achieve and how you work.
Very annoyed with Adobe not mentioning this anywhere in its sales areas, hence some publicity about this matter. Google this aspect to see many others caught out and annoyed..great to find out after the event!
on 13 April 2014
For the last couple of years I have been using Adobe Premiere Elements, and I bought a Classroom in a Book for that. Although it did teach me some stuff, it was extremely boring to work through, and way before the half way mark I abandoned the lessons and used it more as a reference.

The same book for Premiere Pro is much better. Not only do you get far more interesting footage to work with, which is actually a scene (so far) from a multi camera shoot with an obvious production budget, and not somebody with a Handycam, but it is also written with a little more interest. Moreover, it teaches the techniques for editing from an editors perspective, it doesn't just tell you how to use it. There are also tips on what footage you should look at capturing when you do take on a video project.

I'm just going back over lesson 6, and there are 21 in all. I may end up abandoning this before the end as it's such a nice piece of software to use (compared to Elements, which is still a good editor) that'll I'll want to get on and edit some of my own projects. But I'm not ready to stop now.

Highly recommended for beginner video editors, and especially those coming from Elements. It's really easy to work with once you start to understand the differences between this and Elements, and this book is essential as there is so, so much more it can do.

Rated 4 stars as I also have some Scott Kelby books for Photoshop and Lightroom, and this book just doesn't have the same "easiness" about it.
on 17 February 2012
On the whole a reasonable book for anyone who is transfering over from Final Cut Pro. Sadly the files for the lessons are not available to anyone using the latest version of Adobe, CS 5.5 as against CS 5 because the course material on the DVD was shot on the earlier version. Workrounds are available, but for me I just used my own stock and followed the lessons adjusting as I went. The only real problem is the index, I would have prefered a more in-depth list of cross referenced topics.
on 26 December 2011
I've been working on premire pro for past 8 years ish. And still didnt know most of the button did.
After buying this book about 80% of it I knew. But this is a great book for begininers. It teachers all the buttons and capturing, formats etcetc.
Easy step by step with pictures.
The dvd is not a video its have the programs on it that link with the book.

The only con is the price it'd be nice if it was £20-£25 not £30 :(.
on 27 October 2012
I purchased this item in the hope it would help me resolve a long running encoding issue. After flicking through the book, it has a lot of information but only really covers what you would need to learn as a newbie to the program. The quality of the book itself is pretty poor, I could have more or less printed it out at work and it would have cost much less than the current price tag.

Although saying that, if you are just starting out with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 then this is the book for you. However if you are looking for something a little advanced or to fix something specific, then stay away.
on 28 December 2012
A very well written book, very easy to follow and find what you need to do.

I have only done a couple of the tutorials, preferring to dip in and out of the book to find the info that suits my needs. It has done this perfectly, as all I really needed to learn were Fades, Multicamera and titles. It has done this perfectly.

It is very in depth, without being overly technical.