on 13 August 2010
There are three things that you have to know about Scott Kelby: i) he is possibly the most knowledgeable person about Photoshop on the face of the planet; ii) he has a rare ability to explain complex processes clearly, backed up by illustrations which are large and actually helpful; and iii) the man is as mad as a hatter.
Once you accept the fact that parts of this book will wander into a world largely populated by Monty Python, you will find that this is the one book that you absolutely have to have, if you are going to use Photoshop CS5 both effectively and enjoyably.
Each step is described with such crystal clarity that even someone as technically inept as myself can quickly grasp both the principle and the practice of the various techniques to take your photographs from RAW to a final state that reflects exactly where you want to go with the image.
There are times when I get the feeling that Scott Kelby actually knows more about Photoshop than the Adobe wizards who created it in the first place.
If you are a CS5 user, the bottom line about this book is this: just buy it.
22 Comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2010
........honest.

I have said it before and I will repeat it. I really enjoy Scott Kelby's books. They are well presented, easy to follow and there is a sense of humour running through them which makes each of his books a real joy to read.

I bought this book after seeing Scott Kelby in Islington at his roadshow. Nice fellow and entertaining from start to finish. Just like this book.

I have the previous books but this one covering CS5 has been re-written and is not just a re-hash of the earlier volumes. I use this as my bible when I wish to be creative in Photoshop and anyone using Photoshop CS5 is also recommended to do so.

A+++
on 21 April 2013
Brilliant piece of software which has made a tremendous difference to my life. I can't tell you how richer I am as a result of having bought this piece of kit.
on 12 January 2014
Very useful, easy readable book for digital photographs who use Photoshop CS5. Emphasis given to Camera Raw is not always justified, in my opinion, since other tools and procedures produce sometimes best effects. However, there are many useful tips which simplify work in Photoshop. One of the best books on this sector.
VINE VOICEon 21 December 2011
Having purchased previous books by Mr Kelby I thought this one for CS5 would be a worthwhile update. Not only are they generally an OK read (once you get used the waffle/humour found dotted around) but they make great reference books when you need to achieve specific things that you don't do regularly enough to remember.

So this one is on par with previous efforts, for CS5 virgins and intermediate users it has excellent content aimed squarely at photographers.

The reason for 1 star? I made dreadful a mistake and got the Kindle version for use on my iPad. While the text is easy to read and there are nice features like search (great for reference books, obviously) the graphics are very poor quality. The resolution at normal size matches the screen, so if you tap to zoom, the images go very pixelated and it means you can't properly see the menu items.

For me this makes it of little use as a reference book. You can work things out of course but it's not an enjoyable experience. The content is 5 star, delivery really lets this one down. Sorry Scott.
on 24 September 2010
As a regular user of Photoshop and a big fan of Scott Kelby's work I found this book excellent. Written in Scott's memorable style (and humour) it shows how to take advantage of the latest developments in this version of CS5 with lots of examples of the best settings for a particular tool or a specific effect. Invaluable to users of CS5 and a must have for your collection. You will refer to it many times.

But, their is one big problem. The first book I received had missing or illegible print on approximately ten pages. An unsatisfactory report was sent to Amazon who arranged for a replacement. Although I highlighted that their stock needed to be checked for similar problems I was advised that my copy was the only one affected and a replacement copy was sent. This copy displayed similar faults (although not the same pages) and additionally the depth of colour was very poor on the cover and on various photos inside. In fact some of the text was even poorer quality than the first copy. I have since seen reports of this problem on the internet and additionally the one and only copy in my local bookshop displayed the same faults so there is obviously a batch problem. (confined to the UK?).

I arranged for this copy to be returned under the very efficient Returns arrangement but as Amazon were displaying that they were unable to send a replacement (due to a customer complaining that their was a problem with the book) I have decided to keep it as the information within the book is invaluable to me. I will just have to put up with the missing text / photos.

I do appreciate that the failure in the printing process is out with the control of Amazon but I do feel that having been advised of a problem and having been asked to check their stocks they seem to have failed to do so in an efficient manner and consequently have incurred a lot of unnecessary work in returns and replacements and upset a lot of customers along the way.

If you find a copy anywhere then I advise you to thoroughly examine it for missing / illegible text / pictures before parting with your money!!
on 5 September 2010
I've bought several of Scott kelby's books before so I'm used to his style of writing and his brand of humour which can seem a little flippant. However, this version is just as good as the previous ones with clear instructions and interesting effects. There is a heavy bias towards using Adobe Bridge which i don't tend to use much (use Lightroom 3)but nonetheless a good book to learn the basics of the new features. Not as in-depth as Martin Evening's books but conversley an easier read ! (in my opinion)
on 31 March 2011
I love Kelbys books and have previous versions for CS2 & CS3 and this is no exception. I have 3 or 4 pages where the print is very faded but living in Spain it did not make sense to send it back to Amazon. The explanations and graphics are easy to follow and to the point and there are some excellent tips, BUT as one previous reviewer has mentioned there is a lot about editing in Camera Raw (90 pages) which maybe warrants a smaller book of its own, there is no mention of new developments like puppet warp and content aware, the book is also 80 pages smaller than the CS3 volume. So a thumbs up for the book, BUT.
on 3 February 2011
Being very new to Photoshop CS5 and having recently done a 2 day photoshop course, I wanted a book to compliment what I had learnt. Having read the reviews and also having Scott Selby's Digital Photography books, which are excellent. I decided this would be the perfect book to buy. I like his style of writing, easy, straight forward and simple to understand. However, that is where it ends. As a previous review mentioned, Bridge and mini bridge are too long winded and personally I don't use these finding it much easier to drag and drop a photo straight into CS5.

Having gone through the book, glancing at all the chapters, it is very clear that this book is predominantly aimed at working/editing in Camera Raw, not at all what I was after, nor what I was expecting. Camera Raw, to me at least, seems not unlike Lightroom 3, which I also have. Several things are not covered, one being puppet warp and bizarrely enough, absolutely nothing on how to use the clone stamp!

The title is very misleading, and isn't exactly as it is described. This book should be called "Working with camera Raw in Photoshop CS5". This would have been a more honest title, I have wasted money buying a book that is of little use to me about a plug-in within CS5 that I have no real desire to use!If you are looking for a book on Camera Raw then this is for you, but otherwise I wouldn't recommend it at all..
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2010
I agree with the previous reviewer, except that the pages which are badly faded in my book are 81, 88, 95b and 98. I'm a great fan of Scott Kelby. His simple explanations are so much easier to follow that the long winded ones by Martin Evening. I was really enjoying Scott's CS5 until I came across pages that are virtually unreadable because the reproduction is so poor. I've waited so long for my order that it is a real bore to have to send it back for a replacement. The contents are excellent so what happened to Quality Control for reproduction? SINCE I POSTED THIS REVIEW I HAVE HAD A PROMPT REPLACEMENT FROM AMAZON AND IT IS PERFECT!