Customer reviews

on 28 December 2009
Here's a web designer that speaks my language. Having read and subscribed to the "Bulletproof" idea of web design, I bought this book on the strength of his previous. Dan takes this to the next level and introduces us to a few CSS3 ideas that can be safely implemented during this limbo phase the web design world finds itself in.

It's a great feet-on-the-ground approach and, save for the odd 'trick' here and there, it's hack-free and that's just how I like to design. The title says it all - if you're the type of designer who lines his / her code up neatly in a text editor (amost OCD but not quite!) and hates seeing 'div-itis' then Dan's your man. But this isn't a book totally aimed at the nitty gritty... this is the concept of moving forward with code, css (2 and some 3) and learning to accept that designs can look different in different browsers.

The DVD bit...well it's not a tutorial per-se, Dan talks about the chapters in the book but it's more than just an overview. He talks about a few examples, detailing why he does the things he does and generalising on the chapter's content. I would say to get the Video Edition - it's refreshing to hear someone at the top of their game natter on about the things you believe in and it helps you to settle into the book.

Not for beginners - you need to be hand-building sites to get the most out of this book. If you're a Dreamweaver user and know a bit about sorting the code out but wonder why the pros write it all by hand then yeah, as long as you know some xhtml and css then grab this but make sure you check out Dan's "Bulletproof Web Design" first.

Enjoy your craft.
VINE VOICEon 3 September 2016
With CSS 3 now being mainstream, some of this book is dated but there is still a lot to warranty purchasing it especially if you get it used at a friendly price. It highlights the part of the CSS 3 specification that worked in modern browsers back in 2010. So some CSS 3 that was unsupported back then is now supported. Yet it still reads as if it was written for 2016 and a few years after. It's invaluable on typography and page layouts. It also have some best practices.

I have always avoide RGBA, largely sticking to hex codes. After using this book, I now prefer to use RGB instead of Hex. It covers. It covers opacity as well, with examples.

Many Developers use CSS Frameworks rather than starting from scratch writing CSS and HTML. I also use CSS frameworks yet this book is still by my side. I do find that sometimes things don't work well as I modify the Framework so as to have a distinctive look as far as is possible. So I create a custom CSS file which houses any CSS outside the framework and it's the last to be loaded. So I use this book a lot for my custom CSS and to solve problems when things don't play well. Thre is a bit on how grids are made as well as how to rest default browser styles.

A book that is still relevant 5 years after ut was released.