on 23 December 2008
After a brief experiment several years ago, I decided to give Joomla another try, this book makes navigating the 'backend' of Joomla much easier and helps you get an understanding of how Joomla sites are put together.

With most other methods of website creation I've found it difficult to add extra features such as forums and ecommerce and keep everything seamless for the website visitor, Joomla has so many free extensions and add-ons that you really can make ANY type of site.

This book has images of the control panel interface which makes it much easier to understand what needs to be done to acheive the desired result, although most, if not all the information in the book could be discovered by searching the net, it's so much quicker and easier to have the book to hand for whenever you get confused!

Within minutes of getting this book I had flipped through it to scan for anything particuarly useful for me and a couple of really useful pieces of information popped out at me, firstly a free 'bridge' that enables a phpbb forum to be easily integrated into a Joomla installation, and secondly, I found links to help me use Dreamweaver to edit Joomla templates.

I still find it hard to believe that Joomla is free! and this book makes the installation, configuration and expansion of a Joomla website really easy.

I highly recommend this book for anyone considering creating a Joomla powered site, it's a small price to pay, especially considering everything else you need to create a powerful attractive website is free, well except maybe the domain and hosting! I just which I'd stuck with Joomla and found this book years ago.
on 26 February 2009
This is certainly a well presented book, written in plain English with clear step by step instructions on getting started with Joomla. However, the instructions for installing a local server for Windows are incorrect - the authors state that you MUST enable Internet Information Services (IIS) for Windows. This is simply untrue, it's possible to use Apache/MySQL and PHP (through WAMP or XAMPP) instead of IIS but worse, the latest Joomla versions (Feb 2009) actually won't install in IIS! Many wasted hours trying to fix IIS, search forums etc... Shame really because the rest of the book is highly recommended.
on 13 July 2009
The clue is in the title - it is a Quick Start Guide. I have used these books before and they are aimed at getting you going quickly. This title certainly does that. CMS systems have a lot in common, but it is all their little idiosyncrasies that can lose you. This book quickly shoots you through that and gets you up and running. I was able to use it to get my first Joomla site up... but that was all. I learned a lot through the process and site two is far more successful. There are some items and bits of information that come towards the end of the book that would have been useful much earlier. Each chapter is summarised with a very useful table that you can use as on-going reference.
As a Quick Start this book is great - but now I need a more detailed manual to really get the most out of Joomla.
on 18 February 2010
In short this book disappoints - in fact it's simply uninspiring.

It has the great merit of following the standard Visual Quickstart layout that I've found in their other books - the meticulous cross-referencing to other chapters, the use of two columns on each page (one for text, one for screenshots), the regular use of tips, the use of side panels to add tangential info.

But beyond this I feel the authors have just 'painted by numbers', ie they've plonked information into the correct Visual Quickstart-style slots, but somehow they've not (as it were) rolled their sleeves up and had a really good crack at it. Several chapters come across simply as lists of instructions, with little evidence that someone's trying to help me learn.

We all remember the inspirational teachers we had. I'm afraid these authors do not remind me of them.
on 5 November 2010
This book takes you on the usual pedestrian tour of the completely and utterly obvious - several pages on the web is terribly exciting, content management systems are amazing, Joomla! is great... like anyone would buy a book of this nature without knowing all that. Spare the paper, please!!

But then the instructions for installing a Joomla! system on a local host are plain wrong, and the instructions for moving a local host installation to a remote host make me believe the authors have never even tried it for themselves.

Between these two low points there's a stunning guided tour of all the menu options, for people who can't read the menus on their screens, before dropping the reader into a mire of impenetrable PHP code in case they wanted to do anything radical like customising their own header image.

Amazon... you should review your product description.

Potential buyers... if you aren't already happy using PHP and MySQL for yourselves, keep your money in your pocket. And if you are happy, you won't be needing this really poor addition to the Visual Quickstart Guide's portfolio - which is a shame, because they have done some good titles.
on 29 March 2013
I bought this book as I was taking a web design course at the time. This book was useful for web design but did not give me the answers I wanted. For example I had to update articles for an association but could not get into the back page. I just had to sign in and edit on the page itself. Many things did not work and there was nothing in this book which told you what to do. In fact I have looked at lots of different books and could not find anything in these either. It is one thing to design a website but another when you are trying to update with no proper instructions or illustrations.
on 7 March 2010
I bought this book at the same time as Joomla for dummies, although this is a good book I dont think that I would have been able to build my website as quickly as I did without the dummies book. I think this book is best used alongside the dummies book or by someone with a bit more understanding than I have. I am a complete beginer at website building. I think that for visual pictures, the dummies book is better. Once I had built my website I used this book more for small details. I enjoyed building the website so much that I have now ordered SEO for dummies.
on 3 December 2009
After a previous failed attempt at getting to grips with Joomla I bought this and it helped greatly. It covers all the basics at a decent pace and was the only book I used to get my first Joomla site up and running.
There is some repetition of material in the early pages and maybe a few things I would have liked added, but I still highly recommend it as your first Joomla book.
on 7 January 2010
Its not a bad book, quite an easy read. It only took a few evenings to get through it, but by the time I had finished the book I had covered most of it by experimentation and searching the internet for answers. This is not to say that its not worth buying, just make sure that you don't need something a little more advanced. My site is built now and that is what is needed.
on 25 October 2009
This book got a web site working, but I found I needed some further guidance.
The problem is that versions of Software change & there were issues with compatibility.
I had to use web advice sites to resolve this.

Another issue is sites created in older versions of Joomla are dissimilar to this content!