on 12 January 2017
Informative, but covers some 'easy' topics at 'great length'. I was specifically interested in how to share clips between projects and that is covered in 2 pages near the end. Some sections are lacking in detail while others seem to go on forever.
For using Premier pro CS4 the instructional videos on YouTube are more useful, however this book is useful to pick up and browse occasionally
on 24 June 2010
I am three quarters of the way through this book and totally loving the learning experience. I highly recommend this book to Photoshop CS4 users who have had a play with the software and feel that they are just scraping the surface of something vast. The hints and tips that you pick up are so useful that you will be going back to it again and again. After each chapter there are review questions to see if you have taken it all in.

I knew nothing about "Camera Raw" before I read this book and realise now that it is a very important part of digital photography and image manipulation.

The "projects" in each chapter are easy and fun to do and there are some web resources throughout the book that are worth checking out.

I have three Photoshop CS4 manuals and this is definitely the best one. My reason for not giving it 5 stars is because I would like to use Photoshop for web content design and there is not very much detail for that with this book although it does give you the wherewithall I would like more examples.
on 12 April 2010
I've had a copy of Photoshop since CS3 first came out but shied away from it thinking I didn't really need it as it was part of the Web Premium Suite and I favoured Fireworks. Having stepped my toe into Photoshop with The Digital Classroom CS4 Design Premium book, I was hooked so I dug this book off the bookshelf and delved in. It is written clearly, precisely and leads you through each of the examples really well. It is well paced and although not meant to be read from front to back, it does build up progressively and sows some neat functions which I'd never seen nor knew about!

Needless to say I am hooked and about to start the How to Cheat in Photoshop and look forward to developing my skills rapidly.

The only downside I found was it'd tell you to select blend mode blah and set x to this, y to that etc but didn't always say why nor explain the options but I guess that comes with time and playing around.

Overall a great intro with some nice tutorials.
on 8 October 2009
I work in marketing and had dabbled with most of the CS4 suite, however i never felt that i was utilising much of the potential and was considering working towards becoming a professional designer.

this work books have opend my eyes to some of the possibilities of the software and have increased my confidence and ability to the point where i am now teaching others in the office.

i throughly recomend these books as a stepping stone into design or as a way of improving your understanding and utilisiation of the software.

from these you can then progress to the 'Real world' books from Adobe.
9 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 July 2009
I have not yet completed all the tutorials in the book, but have done about half. I have only played around with Photoshop before and this book does provide a loose start, covering topics and techniques that you would not find by accident. However, as Photoshop is such a huge application, this can only brush the surface and will still leave the beginner wondering how to remember all the features it covers. As these sort of books go, it's not all all bad. It's a start.
6 people found this helpful
on 22 December 2013
I used the book when I was doing an ICT course. Now I have stopped the course and the book is not needed now. I am going to trade it.
on 10 January 2015
good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 15 February 2010
I bought this at the same time I bought Photoshop CS4. If I hadn't bought this book I would have been lost, the tutorials are easy to follow and I'm slowly learning all about CS4. Nice results so far.
on 13 January 2014
I found the detailed step by step instruction very helpful, and easy to follow. I had some experience of an earlier version of Photoshop(10 years ago no kidding) and was worried approaching the exercises however once I started I found instructions easy to follow.
on 1 June 2013
Now this is good tutorial book. I am a novice and it is very easy to follow and the CD tutorials are a brilliant thing to provide.