Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 March 2009
I have found this a helpful book and have used it as intended,working through the lessons provided on the CD. I have previously used Dreamweaver MX 2004 but found the layout in the new version quite different so wanted a book to guide me through the changes. I have limited webdesign experience and have learned a lot, particularly about CSS sheets which I will definitely use more in future. I think that a complete beginner might find a few problems using the book as some of the instructions are slightly off and it took me a while to sort out what they meant.However I would recommend it overall and I think that it is also a book I will find useful later as a reference book because it has a good index.Well done to Adobe for getting it out so quickly.
on 5 February 2010
Starting out? learn by doing! and this book will get you doing!

this book is designed for the very beginner, starting off showing you the basics of your work environment in dreamweaver and then each lessons gets you trying out more and more tools. It even shows you basic CSS and HTML coding. I've completed all of the lessons now and though I'm not a master of coding, I can now look at CSS and HTML now and understand whats going on when I read it.

It has a CD which gives you all the materials needed for your website, and then gets you to build it up from the ground with a finished product you can feel proud of knowing you can now go off and build your personalised website.

the book does skip over a few things such as only tells you basic things about the coding, but there's only so much you can fit into this small book and massive volumes have been published on coding in the past!

If your starting out from scratch and have the enthusiasm to give it a shot, then I can't think of a book i'd recommend more. If your experianced in dreamweaver and know your div/ from your p>/
then maybe its not for you.
on 17 April 2009
I ordered this book so i could learn how to use Dreamweaver for a coursework piece. i found that without it i would not have been able to complete my coursework!! Fabulous book and well worth it!
on 17 November 2009
I bought two books within a short space of time 'DW-CS4 Digital Classroom' pub:Wiley and 'DW-CS4 Classroom in a Book' pub:Adobe. I was halfway through DC before I switched to CB. Within the first couple of chapters of CB, I could see I was going to be able to knock up a web-site of my own in no time. The approach in this book made immediate (p5) use of DW's built-in CSS layouts(in Chapter 7 you get to design your own layout), which really empower page design from the start.

DC on the other hand concentrates so much on detail that you can't see the wood for the trees - in addition, DC gives only a brief mention (p46)of built-in layouts and chooses not to use them - end of the story.

The approach in CB is progressive, starting with a diy web-page and adding features and customization.

One thing which gives me misgivings is that it only uses Spry widgets for data-oriented stuff, table content and pull-down lists, so no mention of anything like SQL databases. Also, the reliance on Spry means that a MS-IE browser will always ask for permission and warn users before accessing your site using Spry (which relys on JavaScript). Firefox is mute.

I would however recommend both books, CB first, then DC. If I was hard up, it would have to be 'Classroom in a Book'.
on 11 June 2009
Well I expected much more. The language is pretty hermetic - those guys who have written this book obviously did not bother 'testing' it on normal folk. There are hardly any explanations of why you should do things in a certain way, just 'click this and this' - perhaps a good approach if you are trying, for comparison, to cook an egg, but not ideal when you are trying to understand a tool. Finally, it is too advanced for beginners. I did a weekend course in Dreamweaver before buying this book and still could not understand all of its content. A message to Adobe - just make software, leave writing books about it to other people.
on 27 September 2009
Having bitten the bullet and spent great piles of cash on CS4 Web Premium, I wanted to get up and running quickly. I had some projects in mind but with so much power available, how do you get a feel for what it can do and where to start?

I worked through the lessons and picked up skills and learnt about tools and options. I also had a good grounding for going on to learn more.

I also bought the Fireworks, Flash and Action Script versions of this book. Same story.

Of course you also have the lesson materials to use as components in your own projects, learning how to change them to produce the effect you are after.
on 11 January 2010
This is a very good book, it's like a classroom itself starting from scratch and showing all the shorcuts in dreamweaver to make things easier and faster. Doesn't go too much into details just go straight to the point. Totally recommended if you're either starting with web design or just starting with dreamweaver. It helped me out a lot.
on 3 May 2011
The product arived in excellent condition and fast. I bought it to try and build a website from scratch, but to my design, I have found this difficult with this book as i dont want to go through the book and complete all the excercises it has. It is very detailed, a bit too coded for my understanding sometimes. i have since ordered a dreamweaver visual book and am hoping with them both i can succeed in succesfully creating my new website. A good book depending on your requirements.
on 22 February 2011
Excellent book, even better than I thought it would be! Step by step instructions which help you build a website, you can use these skills to build your own website. I did find that if I left a couple of weeks between lessons I had to flick back for a refresher but that is just a personal point.
LOVE all the classroom books, quite expensive but worth it!
on 22 December 2013
The book arrived quickly. I did some exercises using the book. Later on, I found that it is not the very book I needed so I ordered CS3 classroom in a book. I am going to trade it.