on 16 January 2018
I have had a love/hate relationship with this book since beginning it several months ago. I will be honest, I don't think Stroustrup is a particularly good teacher; I am not a complete beginner and yet I did struggle with some of the exercises, even early on. He has a tendency to introduce concepts in early chapters that aren't actually covered until later on in the book, leaving you with no idea why certain lines of his code exist. He is poor at explaining his source code in general and if you look at his github, he often uses concepts not yet introduced when tackling his own exercises. A lot of the explanations are too wordy, whilst others are too brief. It is easy to get lost in his 'simple calculator' chapters.

My main frustration with this book is the installation process required to follow chapters 12-16: you need to install FLTK as well as many files not specified anywhere in the book. There is a short appendix detailing the installation of FLTK but no explanation of how to get his GUI interface to work. I found a resource online that helped, but despite following all of the steps, I was left with 160 errors. I managed to fix many of these (many of which were down to mistakes in the downloaded such as commenting out required header files), but was left with 20 errors I couldn't fix; a beginner programmer, i.e. the target audience, should not be expected to do this.The entire process was a waste of 4 hours or so.

This has left me under half-way into the book, unable to complete the next few chapters. This is extremely frustrating considering the price I paid for this book.

However, some of the exercises are really good and I have definitely seen an improvement in my abilities since beginning and I will probably complete the book (providing I skip the next 4 chapters). It is just a shame because I had such high hopes for this book.
5 people found this helpful
on 12 May 2018
Absolutely fantastic book! I purchased this as a beginner programmer and I have nothing but good words for this book. It is a great learning source and a must have if you want to better yourself as a programmer and learn the basics of C++ at the same time. It contains visual representations for some ideas and concepts that may be slightly difficult to visualise. I think many people will tell you it isn't the easiest book to learn from but it will help if you already have some knowledge in computer science and the concept of programming.
on 29 September 2016
Best programming book I have had thus far, highly detailed, beginner friendly and covers everything needed to start building your own programs, includes best practice methods too, theory and development, GUI programming, a very good starting point.

Exercises and review questions, inlcuding drills after each chapter.
on 17 May 2017
Great book, the author isn't trying to talk down to you like a lot of other beginner books out there. Each chapter builds upon an idea learned in the previous which helps reinforce an idea.
on 23 June 2017
Learn to program and hopefully replace myself.
on 24 June 2017
Fantastic book for beginners to C++. I only managed to get about a third of the way through due to school getting in the way but up to where I got to, the tutorials were clear, concise and to the point. Great stuff.
on 3 June 2017
Request:
I'm reading on a kindle (black & white), so I can't differentiate between harder and easier sections (signaled by the colored circles). If you could add some color independent sign for kindle users, that'd be really nice.

Although I'm only at 7%, I enjoy it very much and I'd highly recommend. Well written book.
on 1 April 2018
Bought for my nephew who loved this, couldn't put it down.
on 4 May 2011
If you have no Previous programming experience then this is the book for you.
Its written by the man who created the C++ language and he has deliberately focussed this book for those people who are new to programming.
The style of writing is like no other i have come across, Unlike most books of this subject its actually a pleasure to read and fun to follow.
on 29 September 2016
Good book to read if you like to understand C++