on 16 August 2017
The book is written by experienced testers and got me up to speed on agile testing concepts very quickly, which enabled me to help implement an agile testing and QA strategy on my own team.....
on 21 August 2009
I bought this book as it appeared to focus more on the testing angle of 'AGILE' software development rather than the developers, and I have enjoyed reading this immensely.
Not only have the authors laid the book out well, and have made it very readable, they have garnished the chapters with mind-maps and therefore made it very easy to find and review sections you want to read again.
The two authors clearly have had plenty of experience in the AGILE development environment, both on 'disorganised' and 'organised' teams, and are keen to promote how to turn a newbie agile team into an effective one, stressing the collaborative nature for AGILE. Lots of examples from their own experience and from other AGILE practitioners demonstrate the pitfalls and improvements which can be made by thinking about the points made in the book.
As a tester, I found this book very useful in describing how and where testers fit into the process, and how specialist testers can work to enhance things too, especially where views of testing have previously been that "it's done at the end", or that "anyone can test", or that "we'll let the testers know about the development work when (we consider) they need to".
I would recommend this book both to software developers, and to testers, as it can teach everyone a lot about how to get everyone focused on the right goals, improving quality, and meeting customer expectations, and keeping the so-called 'technical debt' of difficult-to-maintain code at bay. The more it's done from the word go, the easier it should be.
on 3 May 2011
Just went on the Certified Agile Tester course (CAT)in London - which was absolutely great - despite the fact I have been using agile for a while. The course recommends Lisa Crispin's book and I nearly didn't buy it as I have so many books on agile already. I'm so glad I did as it is complete, comprehensive and yet easy to read and dip into. I would recommend any tester to learn more about agile testing - its definitely the way of the future
on 23 February 2009
The main theme of this book is fitting testing tasks into agile projects, and as such this book really is long overdue. Most agile books are written by programmers for programmers, leaving testers in particular to fend for themselves. No wonder why so many of them feel lost in this world. This book definitely delivers on the promise to ease the transition for testers and QA engineers who suddenly found themselves on an agile project. It has a testing focus and presents things in a way that testers, coming from more traditional process oriented software projects, should understand. The key pillars of practice on which the content of this book stands are improved communication, the whole team approach, agile testing quadrants and automation, so the book efficiently points traditional testers to new knowledge and ideas that they need to focus on to contribute to an agile project. It also provides a solid framework for executing traditional testing tasks in an agile environment without lagging behind the development and causing the project to fall into the "mini-waterfall" trap.

I would also recommend it to project managers and team leaders as they will be able to see the project from the testers' eyes and complement their knowledge about quality on agile projects. As such, it is especially an important reading for teams that consider JUnit the extent of their "testing" process. The book raises valid concerns about commonly overlooked tasks such as test planning, security, performance and usability testing, documentation testing and provides some very practical advice how to plan and execute exploratory testing efficiently.
on 12 October 2016
When my employer transitioned to use agile, we participated in agile training which consisted of an all-day lecture with provided notes, plus they joined in the “agile ceremonies” to lead the sessions and provide ideas.

There are some key ideas to agile which ensure quality throughout the process, and to provide small, incremental releases. Such ideas includes automation, test-driven development, flexible roles and more. This book does contain this information with examples of the author's (Lisa & Janet) experiences.

However, it's 533 pages long which is far too lengthy to get these points across. There's sections which really drag, with the constant reference to using FitNesse (75 mentions in total), which highlights the fact that there's plenty of text which could be cut. There's also lots of generic software development advice, rather than focussing on agile testing which the introduction emphasises. A big part of agile is finding out what works for your team and discussing the process in your retrospectives, rather than having a strict method that you must follow. The main point here, is that I found the training I received in my workplace (and trying to put it into practice) to be more helpful than this book.

I felt the example scenarios were very hit and miss. Some of them were great examples, whilst others seemed to simply exist to boost the author's ego. There's plenty that are structured like “company X had terrible practices until Lisa/Janet joined the company and suggest they do Y. After this, the company was highly productive”.

I think Agile books are inherently hard to write given it is very theoretical. Sure you can include the ideas, but can't provide specific instructions given that the methods aren't 'set in stone'. I do believe books like this need to be concise rather than verbose, otherwise it detracts from their utility. This is the reason why this book misses the mark.
Some authors are good at presenting theories but unable to connect them to practice. Other are good at telling stories from the trenches, but without being able to produce an analysis of the situation and propose some solutions. On the less examined domain of agile testing, Lisa Crispin and Janet Gregory are, luckily for us, presenting a book that covers both the personal experience of being a tester in agile projects and a conceptual vision of the place of quality assurance in software projects. Thus you will find in this book "stories" that comes from past projects and "mind maps" that helps to have a high-level vision of the material of each chapter.

The book offers resource to organize the quality assurance and testing activities in an agile project. It explains also the relationship between test automation and agility. It provides also a part dedicated to the chronicle of the agile testing activities during project life, showing how every member of the team could contribute to quality.

I think however that the more interesting contribution of the book is Testing Quadrants. This concept classifies testing activities depending on their focus (technology or business) and their intent (supporting the team or validating the product). Adding an agile perspective to the original work of Brian Marick, the authors provide resources and examples for each quadrant to make sure that you will cover all the aspects of testing for your project.

This book is certainly a very valuable resource for every people involved in software testing, even if this is not in an agile project. It will also be valuable for ScrumMasters and project managers that have to think on how to integrate the testing activities in their projects.
on 6 October 2011
Well written, very clear style, well structured, clear language, many practical examples. I didn't necessarily like a lot of the things I was reading about Agile, but this book is a great introduction from a tester's viewpoint and gave me a good grounding from which to point out the 'fragile' implementations in my place of work.
I had read recommendations for this book on various Agile user groups and I am glad I went for it. I had a fair idea of what Agile was, how it should work/be applied etc, and had been on a good 3 day workshop. But reality is very different. This book was a brilliant buy. We had decided to approach a project using iterative dev and testing methods, and I was so relieved to have this book alongside me, even if no one else followed 'the rules' I tried my best and it helpd enormously. Also helped to highlight the gaps in other areas of dev that were 'supposed' to be going the 'Agile' way. Hopefully I have learnt some good habbits I can apply on the next project or elsewhere. A must read for anyone new to Agile testing methodoligies or trying to convince others what should be happening. I also highly recommend Agile Estimating and Planning Agile Estimating and Planning brilliant for undertsanding scope and estimating.
on 4 January 2017
I found this book very helpful - as someone that has been in software development for about 30 years and only recently started working in an Agile team (in which we all work on design, implementation and tests) - I found it gave me a much better insight into how to use different kinds of testing, when to automate and when not to, and many other facets of Agile Testing.

I really liked the recounting of stories experienced by the authors - the problems they had and how they tackled them.

The whole book has the feel of wisdom gained from a lifetime of experience with software testing in an Agile environment.
VINE VOICEon 7 June 2014
I found Lisa Crispin's and Janet Gregory's book on agile testing very enlightening and thought provoking. I haven't worked in a fully agile environment myself but I am aware of the challenges of developing (programming and testing) in sprints. On the whole I thought this book added to my knowledge and if you are thinking about changing methodologies or trying to improve your agile test processes I'm sure this book would give you something to think about.