on 26 April 2006
Make no mistake, this book is aimed at folk that may be interested in the general ideas behind the design process. It will be of little help to those that already have a knowledge of the fundamentals of design.

A simple to follow and intuiative layout makes for easy reading. The straight forward language and abundance of picture examples showing good and bad design means that the reader absorbs all the information readily and can pick up the design tips without taxing themselves too much. It covers a great deal of ground without making the reader break into a sweat. The pace of the book is lighthearted and friendly.

This is the type of book that you can read and absorb within an hour. It excites you to start designing you own newslatter, brochure, business card, letterhead, poster etc. as soon as you have put it down. Having learned about things like, layout, type styles, proximity, heirachy, contrast, alignment etc, you will be armed with enough basic knowledge to ensure that your efforts will certainly not look amateurish anymore.

This is the type of book that can be picked up and read by anyone aged from 13 to 130 yrs. you dont need to be technically minded or a whizz kid designer to benefit from this little gem.

there are a few quizes at the back of this book that help re-inforce the info in the readers mind.

All good stuff!!
on 21 March 2017
I bought this as I'm due to start a new job where I'll be expected to do some design work, and it brilliantly describes all the basics that I had a vague idea about in a coherent, logical way. It's not too long neither and has good examples and as such is a good bite-sized design guide!
on 26 July 2017
A quick read with some great tips.
on 2 October 2009
Everyone who ever has the need to design even a simple business card should read this book. It outlines the basics of design and how it can impact the final product. I have been involved with design for many years but I still found is very interesting. I particularly liked the section on choosing colour schemes. Even for an experienced person it doesn't hurt to go back to the basics occasionally. With modern software you can easily try and make something too complex and this book will keep us on the straight and narrow! I can only highly recommend it to people at every level.
on 9 March 2010
I'm not a designer. That much is obvious from looking at the websites I produce that haven't been designed by someone else. That doesn't mean I don't care though; which is why on Christmas day last year I ordered this book.

I've only just got round to reading the book, but I'm glad I did. As a learning book it's deliberately quite lightweight and easy to get through in a short time, in the same way that Steve Krug's "Don't Make Me Think" is designed to be absorbed in a couple of hours on a flight. All told, I spent about three hours with this book, on my tube journeys to and from work this week.

Robin starts her journey by briefly explaining the concepts of Contrast, Repetition, Alignment and Proximity (anyone spot an acronym there?), before moving on to explore each concept in greater detail. As Robin repeatedly tells us in her book, by being able to name the concepts you're able to identify them and use them deliberately rather than accidentally.

The second half of the book deals with type; the different styles of typefaces, how to combine them and horrible errors of judgement to avoid.

Spread throughout the book are a bunch of mini quizzes and exercises designed to get you thinking about what you've just read. The quizzes are a nice touch, and I'm sure I've retained more knowledge because of them than I would have done if I'd just read through from cover to cover.

The book covers design in general, rather than being focused on the web, print or presentations. Whilst Williams has written a book called "The Non-Designer's Web Book" I specifically chose to buy this one because both I wanted a general overview book and because the web book is from 2005 (a lifetime ago on the web) and has some mixed reviews. "The Non-Designer's Design Book" did not disappoint - it's given me that overview that I was looking for, and I now feel a bit more comfortable that my designs will actually work.
on 30 August 2007
Coming from a fine art background rather than graphic design, and having done design work for many people over the years, I have always had nagging doubts that I might be committing design crimes without realising it. Was I choosing the right typefaces? Was I striking the right balance between design and readability?
The answer is, that what has taken me many years to learn by trial and error, the author has condensed into a clear, easily understood, step-by-step read. It has also taught me quite a few tricks I had never considered.
You are taken through a series of single designs, looking at different aspect each time: Contrast, repetition, structure etc. and by the end you have a professional looking layout that can hold it's head up high.
Highly recommended as an easily digestible read for beginners, or others who just needed to know some of the important design rules without going too deep. Wish I'd read it years ago.
on 29 June 1998
As a professional graphic designer at a community college in Maryland, I deal with VIPs (Visually Illiterate Person) every day. Whenever a non-designer co-worker asks for advice on a DTP project, I recommend this book. If they are in my office, I pull out my copy and SHOW them how good it is. This small, easy-to-read book communicates basic design principles clearly without using fancy jargon. The ample "before and after" examples speak volumes-- with a glance, the reader can see the difference between uninformed design and design with the basic principles used. Anyone who uses a computer for Desktop Publishing should be required to own this book! P.S. All of Robin's books are this good!
The title of this book is well chosen. It is a book about design but its target is not the design professional but the everyday person who at the minimum needs regularly to create documents of some form or another. There are many who use a word processor that has some sort of page layout capability - most now do - or who are creating longer documents that demand use of a full-blown page layout program. Adobe's InDesign and QuarkXpress are two of the most popular, although there are others which are more affordable, such as that offered by Serif.

When laying out a page, there are many considerations including typeface, font size and colour, placement of titles, subtitles and headings, size and location of images and much more. It is complex and few will get it right every time. This book takes the reader through the process and includes some specific advice for the users of some of the most-used software which, with relevant modification, could also be used in some other.

Although there is some technical terminology used, the book is not intended to be overtly technical and, for most readers, it is at about the correct level for its audience. However, by trying to embrace 'design' in a broader context than most non-professional users would ever likely need, that is its minor short-coming. Robin Williams, a female rather than the comedy actor of the same name, is a designer by profession and should therefore have plenty of first-hand knowledge and experience to pass on.

I actually bought the first edition when it came out some years ago, and I found it quite valuable. This is much updated and includes some of the more recent features that have been introduced into software since the first edition was published.

Recommended, although there are parts of the book that few will actually need.
on 10 February 1997
Trying to put together a professional-looking web site or other publication? Wondering why your stuff doesn't seem to grab the reader?
Read (it's VERY easy) Robin Williams' "The Non-Designer's Design Book". You'll find short, clear explanations of the major principles of quality layout and presentation, with PLENTY of examples. Also included is a fine introduction to typefaces and font terminology.
Exercises (with answers) help to drive the points home, and the excellent bibliography will lead you to more in-depth study.
As a Design novice (or, as Ms. Willams would label me, a "Visually Illiterate Person") I can't imagine a more gentle, informative, helpful or entertaining introduction to the topic. A MUST-READ for would-be web page artists!
on 24 June 1997
This book is a true gem. It provides excellent help in the area of grahpic design for creating images that look good together. It also gives many hints on improving current grahpics. Rather than just providing pages of examples (like some books), this book provides simple and practical rules (in addition to examples which demonstrate the rules). In fact, the rules apply to more than just desktop publishing, but just about any area of design. Another plus, the book packs so much useful information in a concise, quickly readable format. Please note, this book is not a book on desktop publishing, and it does not teach you how to use a specific application (in fact, for the most part, this book, does not even assume you are using computers).